January 17, 2008

you

I saw you in the coffee shop, just the other day. Sitting quietly, reading the paper and sipping strong, black coffee in a chipped earthen mug. You obviously brought the mug from home. A favorite to keep the coffee hot while you pour over each word. Your fingers were smudged from the newpaper ink and one lock of hair refused to lay down. I ached to smooth it but refrained.

My coffee was served and I left. You never even knew I was there. But, in my imagination I sat next to you, sipping my sweetened concoction and drank in your presence. The engine turned over as I left you framed in the window seat and my heart ached a little. No, actually it ached a lot - why lie to myself?

I saw you in the market carefully going through the steaks and piling giant potatoes in the cart. I'm sure you put in an extra tub of sour cream and maybe some fresh blue cheese. Your cart was sparse as you hate to go to the grocery. Again, you never saw me as I whispered, "excuse me." I was invisible and gone in an instant.

The young boy bagged my groceries as I saw you walk briskly out the door. The sun shattered a million reflections on the windshield as you drove away.

I'm sure I'll see you again today - somewhere that I least expect you. I'll look up and see you crossing some random street, probably driving in a different direction or parking in a crowded lot. The wind will probably ruffle your hair that needs a trim along your collar and I'll melt again.

This is how I imagine you...always just out of my reach. The man of my dreams that I can never seem to find and hold. The perfect man because we've never met at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.