April 13, 2009

the changing times

Easter '09

it was a good weekend - simple, quiet and peaceful. the curious thing about the changing world is that traditions change too. before we all would have ran from family to family - filling up on ham and such at both places, putting on brave faces to spare feelings. now - with divorces and deaths, our family traditions have changed to fit our family.

this was the first Easter my sister didn't have her boys at home with her for their baskets...and at 10 and 14, one would argue that the thrill of the Easter bunny has past. and one could even argue that eventually all children leave so, it will not be the last Easter this will happen. whatever, the case - it's just as painful no matter the circumstances.

so, when life gives you lemons you make lemonade. you wait for dinner that night and create new traditions of Easter evening gatherings. kids playing in the yard, blowing bubbles, reading stories and playing. champagne with lasagne and salad makings. bedtimes stories and a great debate over which gender rules and which gender drools. (if you believe anything other than girls ruling, that's cool - we accept you're wrong)

today I have leftover chocolate, new magazines and stormy weather. it's just the kind of day where a good cup of coffee and a footstool works very well.

15 comments:

  1. oh these pics sure look like the kids had a great time at easter! and leftover chocolate? lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you make lemonade with your lemons. I try to do that, too. This mosaic is sweet, Char. Thanks for sharing your day.
    Here's to new traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "life changes and so do tradtions"...said perfectly.

    and isn't it amazing that just being together is really the only thing that matters ?

    love the photos...especially the bubbles...my favorite !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Char~ you touched my heart!
    I was complaining that this is the first Easter in 50 years that there haven't been Easter baskets.
    Waa-waaa!

    Life changes~ well said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...still trying to figure out new traditions to go with our ever changing family...now that both daughters have married and need to share holidays with in-laws...and my sister's family are grown and scattered...and my mother and father's generation are no longer living...I still haven't seemed to adjust to the constant changes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family, it's just a beautiful, wonderful, poignant ever changing life form all its own. Great photos, the children look relaxed and happy, enjoying the day. Enjoy your chocolate today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Char, I understand about difficult holidays with the ever-changing dynamics of families. It isn't easy.

    The little ones seem to be enjoying the day outside. I love the first one. She looks like she's backing up her car to turn around. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! the little ones are getting SO big, it's definitely spring up here in Oregon too, your blog and your photography are both developing nicely. ~hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has nothing to do with your post... BUT, I'm psyched to see you've set up shop! I want at least one of your prints on my walls when I move. Right now, I have a frame for a 5 by 7. And I'm trying to decide between the berry shots. They're gorgeous!
    So, how do you want to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like so much fun. i love bubbles.
    glad it sounds like you had an enjoyable Easter.
    we had storms today and the only way i am able to comment tonight is because i happen to still be at work. i hear the power is still out in my neighborhood and has been since 9am. so i guess there is some good to having to work late - i get a few stolen moments to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thoroughly understand the "new traditions"... same here. But as my kids are grown I don't mind the post-divorce changes. Glad you enjoyed your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a mosaic of fun~oh a footstool and chocolate sounds divine right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like this collage. such a great grander picture created by all the smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really glad you had a Happy Easter. Thanks for sharing the great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fun day, children make all holidays so delightful, the next day with the stormy weather also sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.