July 24, 2008

All you need is.....



To love and to be loved is the greatest feeling in the world.

Ahhh, yes it is. Then why is it so difficult to remain in love with the one person that should love you for the rest of your life? Yourself? Constantly we pick and nag at ourselves and in projecting outward, we are amazed that anyone else in the world would stoop to love us. And if no one loves us....are we loveable?

Balderdash! Of course we are loveable....well, except him...and possibly her? No....if we reach in and know ourselves - love is possible. So, what about love? That inner delight? That place of "ahhhhhhhh"?

So many negative messages bombard us from all sides...it's easy to lose sight of what is loveable about ourselves. We're too fat, we're too skinny, we're too tall, we're too short. Your skin is too black, too white, too yellow, too red, too light, too dark, too.....just too damn too.

We blame it on our heritage.....I know I've pulled that card before. And trust me - being raised in Alabama is a heavy burden to bear sometimes...I'm told by the public that I'm the stupidest, the fattest, the most prejudice....not me personally of course...but it builds up after a while. Soon, the public messages become a private monologue. "Why did I say that, man, I must sound like a hick."

....and on the battle goes. And heaven help us if we develop a bit of confidence and fly that flag. Then, we're arrogant, overbearing, a bitch, a bastard....vain....attention seeking...well, you get the picture right? "It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am."

Well damn...more power to you. I wish you all greatness....now let me go scoop up some of that for myself.

3 comments:

  1. Left Handed and I were just talking about how hard it is to love yourself. I'm not there yet and I'm not even sure I know how. But you're right, it is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder sometimes if it's human nature to be unhappy with yourself, or if it's a cultural (read indoctrinated)phenomenon. Is there anywhere on the planet where it is normal to be happy with yourself? If there is, I'd like a one way ticket please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @GSG - yes..all of the messages over our lives make it impossible at times to accept ourselves, much less love what we are. *sigh*

    @megan - me too, two tickets...(argh - was about to quote Eddie Money)

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.