July 27, 2008

good friends



yesterday I attended the birthday party of my friend's grand-daughter. she is two and I am not sure if I ever saw her light one place too long....that just how two years are. the little girls were precious and the one boy was a cutie....much icing and ice cream abounded and I think I ate six cupcakes by myself. yum.

after the party the adults sat on the front porch with a fan to blow away the mosquitoes and candles to warm the conversation. we debated the merits of Roosevelt, Carter, Bush and many others and when that bored one, we discussed purses shoes and many other things. there was much "do you remember?" and "when I was a kid....." favorite books included many and we all agreed the language in "of mice and men" is probaby a bit strong for a public school reading list.

I drove home in the fog of the rain hangover and fell asleep knowing the company was good and the night was the best in a while.


2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to having an evening like that soon. Not sure who's or when, but soon. I haven't had one for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good time.
    I was an ass and forgot about my friend's kid's b'day party yesterday.

    I think a lot of high school reading lists are above life experiences, and the meanings and themes are totally lost. The possibility that I'm just trying to make myself feel better because that was the case for me does exist though.

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.