July 18, 2008

stuff and nonense

--- coffee with vanilla and caramel coffeemate - yum
--- leftover birthday cake - filling but unsatisfying
--- knowing it's Friday - yay...and oh, yay

A friend talked recently about milestones - what they are and how we mark then. The first year after anything significant ends because something is always the first something after....you know... after. So we struggle through, marking events after a disaster. Actually I don't think of those as milestones. Anyway - it's funny what runs through your mind at times like those. Now I'm firmly into my next decade....It feels, well weird.

I started back to photography class on Tuesday night. It feels so comfortable there - knowing a group of people and meeting some more addicted personalities. For my birthday, I bought myself a 50mm lens and I'm looking forward to playing with it this weekend. How I wish Villi & GSG were here to do a photowalk together. Though I have photography friends, none of them seem to be as into the urban stuff as I am.

Have you ever just sat down somewhere and started a conversation with a total stranger? I like doing that. Seeing where their life has taken them and at those interesting times I wish I had my camera with me. In my life I've talked to many. Last weekend I talked to the gardner in the botanical gardens and as we chatted my sister and then her friends joined in. This hard working woman, her face stamped by years in the sun and dedication to something she loves, sweat pouring from her brow - my fingers itched to take her picture but I didn't want to make her uncomfortable. Everything we touched she had a story about - if she couldn't name it, she knew where it originated. This reminds me that I need to write a letter to the paper. Have you ever written a letter to the editor to thank someone instead of complaining? It's one of my new things over the past two years. Too often we complain and never stop to say, "thank you."

So....thank you. The times you've bolstered and held me up when I was drowning. Thank you for the times you made me laugh when I was crying. Thank you for listening when I felt the most alone. Thank you for good times and bad. Thank you for kicking my ass when I needed it.

3 comments:

  1. I wish we all could go on a photowalk. That would be a riot.

    I love talking to random people. Up here, that sort of thing is generally frowned on though.

    Thanks to you also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you too! It's been some hard times for sure. You've been such an inspiration to me with your photography! And, I'm not sure I would have made it through the last couple years without friends and photography. :)

    You know, I'm only three hours away. Vili5 and I could drive down on one of his visits to Music City, have ourselves a right good urban photo walk!

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.