July 28, 2008

trudging on

Yesterday it was hot and the same will happen today and tomorrow and oh yes, the rest of the week too. The deep South is now in the doldrums of a full on summer. Hot, humid and without any hope of redemption.

Taking an outside photography class is not the best of circumstances, but it is a thing I must do. This class will push me, I can tell. Also, it's such a large class that I get lost in the mix of things as I'm likely to do given an opportunity.

We went downtown yesterday - something I asked for, but who knew that 95 degrees translated into 950 degrees on the black asphalt? I should have. I wandered for a while but was overcome by nausea and exhaustion. So, my shots were few ... but I think my time wandering back to my car were the best because I didn't point my camera where everyone else was pointing. The Alabama is a grand old theater and there are hundreds of photographs of it over the years.

My eye was drawn by a handdrawn love note on frosted abandoned glass - "David hearts Britney". I wonder if it is still true. I gathered my story about a stranger - well, if a classmate counts as a stranger but I didn't get her picture. I think I was shy to ask because she is a class mate. I will practice this more as it's not to the place yet I want to share.

3 comments:

  1. The photos you put up yesterday were awesome. I'm sure your knack for seeing things differently is why you make such a wonderful photographer. Keep it up. You have an audience to cater to now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a university yesterday to take pictures and the heat was miserable. I can't imagine being on asphalt.

    How large is this group? Honestly, one of the things I like about photography is the solitary work. :)

    I hope you get to feeling better! Vitamin Water is where it's at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kurt - thought those would appeal to you more than pretty little flowers. :)

    @ GSG - I haven't tried Vitamin Water. I need to pack better than I do when I go but lugging a tripod and a bag with 4 lens is a pain already. The group is about 20 people but we usually break up into groups of 3-4 people and head off in different directions. I like to go alone but then sometimes it's fun as some people can spot new and exciting things.

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.