October 1, 2009

::honest scrap::

The Honest Scrap Guidelines~
1) Say thanks to the presenter of the award.
2) Share 10 Honest Things about yourself.
3) Present this award to 7 others whose blogs you find brilliant in content and/or design or those who have encouraged you and then inform them of such, of course.

an award from my friend, april. thanks april - you're one of my favorite reads (xoxoxo). she has fab taste in music, photography and adorable hats.

i love this award as it tends to make people dig a bit deeper to find out things about themselves but...after about 18 months on this blog, i'm not sure if i have any old tidbits to share with you all....much less ten. whew. that's a lot when you're counting them down. but i'll give it a go (trying not to bore you completely out of your head). plus, the last post was sort of a downer (but important to share).

10:: i'm a movie nut and though i will go see a chick flick with my friends, the movies that i really love are the sci-fi ones. give me a good sci-fi movie and i'm in heaven. once, i went to a star trek movie by myself and was the only female in the theater.

9:: i have this weird rule where i try not to talk politics or religion on my blog because i've seen too many people get way judgmental about both subjects. i've even lost friendships because people couldn't agree to disagree. however, i will be happy to answer any questions you have as long as you agree that we all have a right to an opinion.

8:: i love pretty panties and back in the day would just randomly buy new ones because i liked the colors or the pattern. conversely, i hate bras and tend to wear two or three favorites all the time.

7:: i do not wear white shoes (except athletic shoes) after labor day or before easter. i know fashion rules have become rather lax about this whole issue and i've tried doing it but it just feels wrong.

6:: i have a horrible habit of nicknaming everyone i know. i think part of that stems from having to live with a nickname almost my entire life. char is the first nickname that i loved - even though everyone else says my family nickname (lanie) is so cute. (ugh)

5:: i'm an avid reader - everything from magazines to textbooks. if it's in this house, i've probably read it at one time or another. as a child, i would take a volume of the encyclopedia and read it like a novel. if i find an author i like, i binge on reading them until i'm glutted.

4:: mean people and rude people really tick me off. not that i think everyone has to wear white gloves and be insipid, nor do i think that white lies are always the best way to go - but i think there is a kind way to deal with most things and wish that everyone could figure that out.

3:: in light of number four, i think people who make jokes that are hurtful and go 'just kidding' really meant what they said and, therefore passive-aggressive behavior like that really ticks me off too.

2:: as i'm typing this out and thinking, jurassic park is on for like the billionth time and i'm watching it. i do that with movies i like and books - watch or read them over and over and over. movies i watch whenever they are on: when harry met sally, jaws, field of dreams, anything alfred hitchcock, and twister. there's probably more but these are the ones that pop in my head. books i've read repeatedly: little women, the secret garden, ten little indians, living a beautiful life, and to kill a mockingbird.

1:: i totally hate shaving my legs. it seems like such a waste of time and effort when i could shave them again the next day. but, i can't stand to see hairy legs either so i guess i would do it regardless - i think it's a plot invented by men as payback for us making them shave their faces.

now:: i think i'm supposed to give this award out to some other people. i forget how many (looks back quickly - seven). i suck at this - that should have been number one. so, i'm going with dani, beth, toni, christina, kate (country girl), cora, cassandra, awww hell. i always feel sort of hurt when i don't get included - so, here's the deal - this is the part of awards that i really hate, the naming of some and not naming some others. i think everyone i read is pretty fab and i'm always interested in new stuff about them. if you want to play along - go for it. if you don't like awards and think this is way too long - all good, no worries.

31 comments:

  1. thanks char! :-)

    i hate shaving my legs too - it's so ... unnecessary, but really bothersome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I haven't blogged in forever, I will do your tag. I agree with you about the bra thing. I have 3 I totally love that need to be replaced- at $40 a each. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm where to start...Sci - Fi...yes and hell yes!

    I am still unclear whether or not your panties are pretty, so I will need to seem them on you first before I make the call!...gratuitous I know..sorry I couldn't resist

    There are fashion rules? WTF?

    You put it next to the John and I'll read it! :-D

    Twister...yes!!! in surround sound and hi-def especially!

    Hmm I shave my face an other areas I shave or just get waxed, so I can relate. Don't ask unless you really want to know. Some people really hate waxing, but I don't seem to mind it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I thought it said "crap" at first....it's early

    Yes on 9, 7 (I never wear white shoes..white shoes don't look good on size 10 unless they're strappy sandals), 5, 4, 3, 2 (I've watched French Kiss and To Kill a Mockingbird a million times) and 1.

    And I think Lanie is cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't take the easy way out =P I know you don't love me =(

    ps. You want to meet a movie snob to the 10th degree? Hi, my name is Robin. Some people call me Robs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on the fashion rules. It was nice having them in place, giving a little formality to the wardrobe, a structure to style I guess. I'm still one for packing up the summer clothes and hauling out the winter items, changing the closets twice a year. Can't wait to dig into the sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh loved hearing all these things about you :-) I hate shaving my legs too! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your #6,... yep, named my car, my camper, have to admit it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. universal hate....shaving legs. me too, but i also hate hairy legs. damned if you do, damned if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No matter how many times you have to come up with something differnt about yourself...they are always "new" to us...getting to know you better.

    Thanks for including me.....I'll have to put my thinking cap on now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I used to read the encyclopedias too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hate, Hate, hate shaving my legs. Would consider waxing, but I'm a huge wussy and don't think I could get past the first strip.

    I used to read all the time. As a child I read every Little House on the Prairie book 20 times. Now I don't have time to read anything but magazines or blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a Beautiful weekend Char!!
    I will be resting up from the amazing U2 night.... you are right, they put on a show to remember!

    xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh, if you love sci-fi, i would encourage you to check out the new battlestar galactica dvds if you haven't caught the series on tv. i am not so into sci-fi, but this series drew me in and was fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have read Little Women annually for about the past 50 years...and I still cry at the same parts...I am also a bit OC about reading all of an author's work if I like it...and it must be in the correct order!...It was fun to read your list Char...and I think Lanie is cute too:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for letting us know more about you and throwing my name in the sandbox to play along with you !!!

    I promise I will as soon as I get my feet back on the ground or my head out of the clouds....

    I'm kind of swirling at the moment....

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. great getting to know u better. i hate rude people too...eee...
    have a good weekend

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. sci fi? : ) hey i just bought the book, "to kill a mocking bird" i cannot remember reading this book. so happy to learn more about you friend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are amazing ...funny and charming...I knew this before the list tho...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read your whole post, agreeing with so much of what you wrote. I hate bras. Love panties. Hate shaving my legs. Wearing white shoes after Labor Day really is wrong, etc. etc.
    And then I got to the end and saw that I was included and although I haven't done a meme in quite some time, I am honored to have been chosen by you. You made my day.

    Nice post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so funny... but so honest. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved your list. And am glad you played along. You might be the only one that did, actually. #9 hit home with me the most. I make it a point to not write about either one of those subjects as well. With that, I gave up on pretty undergarments and daily shaving long long ago but love to nickname people. And then put that nickname into a song. Sometimes with dance moves, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm lucky being half asain....I rarely have to shave my legs. sorry, don't hate, just saying. :) I do the same...read or watch over and over. I do that with a song I like too. I'm reading the TB series for the 2 time an yes, I do reccomend them, esp since you love to read. yes, they are some what different that the show but I can understand why they do that. the characters are spot on and I like that they've kept that simularity. mean people do suck, duly noted. I also hate hate hate talking politics and religion. happy sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. # 5, 4, 3, and 6, I really get!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yep, I agree with most everything you say here. I think politics and religion is only okay (with me) if it's a political or religious blog. Always causes trouble, seems like! Shaving your legs is wasted time, but what's a gal to do? I only shave below the knee. I know. Lazy. I give nicknames to most everything and everyone. Hate sci-fi, though... Can't make sense of it. I'm only creative up to a point!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good stuff Char! I love reading these. I hate white shoes anytime of the year...I never wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great list...
    I hate shaving my legs too...waxing is even worse, but hate hairy legs...white shoes after labour day is a NO NO for my husband...he's VERY CANADIAN...they obide by every rule...and well there's lots more I agree on, maybe I'll play along another time...when I have time.
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so with you on the leg shaving...such a hassle--not very far from bed making.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The only thing I hate more than wearing white shoes is having to photograph people who decide white shoes are a good idea...I try to warn them ahead of time, but oh lordy.
    :)
    Great list. I love getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Big, big grins over here. I hate white shoes and won't wear them at all. No matter what time of year it is. And, I'm grinning because I've never met anyone else who also loves Twister and Living a Beautiful Life. Hello, friend!

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.