October 31, 2009

saturday

(this shot is from October 2008)

it seems that overnight the color has come to my little area of alabama. suddenly the yellows and reds have come along with a rush of cooler air. the weather is supposed to clear up and hopefully i can get out and about tomorrow with my camera (maybe this afternoon too as Emme's birthday party is today). unfortunately, the puggie princess cannot go on her outing as her allergies have kicked in and she's rubbed a rather angry looking spot on her back. (poor lizzie)

now i remember what saturdays feel like. that cool feeling where you know you don't have to get up at 6:00 a.m. to rush around and get out the door. i'm still getting the timing down right, but the good news is the new job is about the same distance from my house as the old job was from my old place. three miles must be the magic number. perfect. i will also say that knowing where you're going to park is comforting too.

the job is going well - i'm still getting my feet underneath me as it's a somewhat different mindset than banking. i'm doing lots and lots of reading and i'm so excited to participate in the new grant project. i can't wait until i feel like i'm really contributing. i'm working for a state agency - i've teased that either i'm the bad penny that keeps turning up or the third time is the charm. state government in a state capital is a very small world. it's been fun having people that i worked with years ago (i do mean years - 16 to be exact) come and reintroduce themselves. people that had babies when i left now show me grown ups.

but, of course there are always tests - right? i think i needed this reminder as tomorrow i'm starting a 30 day gratitude project with joy. inexplicably, my battery died yesterday afternoon. i never look under the hood but when i did yesterday the right side cable was all corroded. not horrible, not like it was something devastating...just, a test. these are the moments i'm grateful i have a sweet baby brother to come to the rescue with jumper cables. all is well - i have a new battery now.

i still need to shoot my shot for lens.us.together - a childhood passion. i've enjoyed seeing others this week as i've pondered my shot. i am also going to take a challenge up from another blogger to see my city in a different way. i think that is what has stifled me - when i look around, all i see are hundreds of shots that i've seen time and time again. i need to change it up - shake it up - break out of the mold. hopefully, that will end this period of discontent with my photography because believe me, i'm as sick of window shots as you are. *laugh*

happy halloween to you and yours - hope you have a spooky, spooky good time.

26 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything is going well for you and your job! It's nice to feel comfortable!
    Can't wait to see your childhood passion!
    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, about seeing something out of the mold. But your photography has always been interesting to me. I always enjoy looking at your work. Sometimes it's just such good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad to read every word of this Char...my continued well wishes go to you on your new page....life is such a book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great suggestion to see your city in a different way. I find that looking through the camera lens helps my writing, in that I see life differently with a camera, somehow clearer, the finer details, that I'd otherwise miss. And all that turns into my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the job is turning out okay. Happy Halloween!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad things are going well....well, except that whole battery thing...

    and ohhhh.... how you are going to appreciate ypur weekends now.....

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you are happy with your new job, have a great Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful fall shot. the colors you captured are just stunning! can't wait for you 30 days of gratitude project :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you sound relaxed. and that is good stuff! keep up that good attitude and keep putting one foot in front of the other. i'm so happy for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This shot is so beautiful not boring at all. What a gorgeous place you live!! Saturdays will be great now funny how we don't notice them so much when we don't work. i too am now seeing my town as a tourist will see it, it is interesting to go to places that I haven't bothered to go to before. And it makes for some new phot ops. Look forward to the gratitude pics too. All the very best in your new position.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how nice it is to hear you sound so excited -- not that you were gloomy before, but there is a certain sense about you now; I guess it is excitement for the future... I hope you had a wonderful Halloween.

    And personally, I love all your window shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sound happy!

    ...and I'll never get tired of your shots...they are very inspirational for me...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You DO read as if you are very happy. I like that. That's a good thing, Char. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't the leaves beautiful? I'm so glad that work is going well. That's very important.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello friend, so glad to hear, you are doing well. also glad, you got the battery taken care of before monday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad the job is going well. We too are having a fabulous fall of color here (Oklahoma), the best in years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad the job is going well! And I love your work; it's always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm happy you're happy about the job. A three mile commute is a hop, skip and a jump...easy peasy.

    I'm bored with my surroundings too. When you figure out how to see things differently please share how with me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Char glad to hear all is well, sounds like your doing awesome, I have a favor, I was wondering can you email me your address, I think you have my email, whenever it is convenientm=, now that your that busy working office woman. Take some pictures of that, just a thought. Take care. later

    ReplyDelete
  20. a 3 mile commute!??!?! that is fantastic!!! mine is 11 miles each way, and that means ONE HOUR EACH WAY IN STUPID L.A. TRAFFIC! it is maddening! bah.

    but, so glad the job is going so well.

    and your brother is a saint!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You really sound like your getting comfortable, growing... it sounds like a great time for you Char, glad we can be here for the ride. Love the picture too - so... Autumn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. excellent picture char! The tree has gone all bald here in england, guess the wind is too strong here. I wished I can feel how autumn is like in states!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad to hear about your new chapter in life, jumper cables and all! I, for one, could never get tired of 'window shots' (I'm all about home and the little details that make it...well, home), but you do what you need to do to get happy with your photography work. You sound Happy, Char. I'm so glad for you.

    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  24. it's hard for me to imagine you being bored with your photography, but it's also such a relief. i'm feeling in such a rut photographically (and otherwise, which is probably why i'm feeling that way behind the lens). must do something to change that, but it's just so hard to contemplate when there's a steady cold rain falling all day...

    maybe i'll take up the challenge as well and try to see my city in a different way...hmm, i wonder what that will be.

    xox,
    /j

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so glad it's going so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. CONGRATS on the job!! wow! what joy! an answer to your prayers and ours! :) i can't wait to read your gratitude project posts... :)even if i am reading them a bit late!

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.