November 18, 2009

gratitude:: day 17 of 30

i will admit this series is difficult for me as i struggle to write every day. and the thing about gratitude is, it does not lend itself to whiny posts or vents...or any of the other things that human nature is wont to display on typical days. the series, as self described is about gratitude, and as such is to make the writer really take a bit of time to explore all the wonderful things to be grateful about...instead of you know, whining.

the last two mornings have been misty gray as i drive into work and as i crest the hill to my parking deck, i can see the faint mist rising from the alabama river that is a few blocks over. the trees lining the river have turned yellow and through the mist look like ladies spreading their skirts in a curtsy. the shadows shade the buildings as the sun hasn't risen high enough to overtake the shadows and the capital dome is still pink with the morning light. even with the hussle and bussle of traffic, the colors are soft and comforting.

in the evening, i reverse the trip. as i walk to the deck though, the colors are lavenders and pinks as the sun ebbs away from the sky. no reds in the sunset here - just a quiet passing of the day. and as i exit the deck, the sky is dark except for the hundreds of red tail lights in front on me.

i'm thankful for the softer colors of fall, the beauty that is amid all of the structure and hurly-burly ways of the working day. the time to slow and be mindful - grateful - and humbled. even when i fight it kicking and stomping in protest.

and mr. alligator here also reminds me, that it is a time for charity (love) in our hearts. in this time of seeking to find warmth, that maybe we can cast a bit of our warmth out into the universe. i hope you are met today with warmth,kindness, and - something (as the man wrote) there is just too little of.

22 comments:

  1. your description was just amazing! i love the looking like ladies spreading their skirts. that rocks!

    there's always an abundance of warmth here...even in tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful for this post today...like a breath of fresh air. Quiet and soft...

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you can be grateful for having a voice and if that voice needs to whine a bit...well, you can see where I'm going with this....

    cripes....I can't be positive everyday...about everything...something somewhere along the line sucks and it has to be grabbed and shaken and thrown around a bit....

    see...even another route to whine....being grateful that you have the ability to remold yucky stuff into something better....

    come on....you know you want to !!! WHINE baby WHINE...we're all here for you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think sometimes we tend to assume that we are talking into a void and that no one is listening.

    But we are listening.

    And we are thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. char, I loved your post and as Beth says, whine away,,besides when we have a real bad day they make the good ones even more special, and grateful that you know the difference. Big Hug

    ReplyDelete
  6. char I am struggling as I continue my 30 days...it is hard to be original...you have done a really great job though!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. being grateful is a good thing. but a philosophy teacher once told me that if we were always happy (grateful) and never experienced sadness or pain, the happiness really wouldn't mean much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i didn't attempt the 30 day gratitude posts. Not because I don't have so much to be thankful for - I do and I voice it to myself, even the tiniest of things. But sort of like Elk said - i'm afraid i would have a hard time being original and interesting in my writing. YOU on the other hand write beautifully. you are such an inspiration!! and you cast a bit of warmth on all who read here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And we're thankful for the peaceful images your words always evoke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Char,

    You are a survivor. This is obvious. You remind me that we should all be thankful for our resilience. We've all been there, death of a loved one, loss of a job, an ill family member, or just one of those days when the whining begins and we're feeling blah. It's our resilience we all must draw upon to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start all over again, remembering there are so many reasons to feel grateful. Your blog helps us all remember this. Thank you.

    Best,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Char...I know you would have great words for me today...and thank you for your comment on todays happenings.
    I have gratitude in reading kindness and thoughts of blogging friends...
    About to try the spoon trick!
    Thanks C
    Char.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't even read the post yet, but I've got a huge smile on my face. I logged on from work...waiting on someone to answer the phone...I LOVE your new header. You've expressed my sentiments exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...The ability to write as often as you do always amazes me...I am grateful that you do:) and I wouldn't mind a little whine either:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the way you write. I love it. Express yourself, even if it is whiny. Whiny is good too. : ) We love ya!
    Adore your banner!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. you tell a wonderful descriptive story...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel your pain with this gratitude posting each day...it has certainly been a challenge and yet a good one too! I've had to combine my some of my posts to make them work together......
    but its all good in the end!

    Great thoughts today Char.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. All our leaves are gone and I so enjoyed your descriptive of things you are grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am always in awe of people like yourself who come up with original writing every day on the same theme... what a creative lot of bloggers you all are.

    am really enjoying your gratitude series... makes me refect on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  19. your description of your morning commute is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gratititude for 30 days is everywhere now: blogging, facebook, emails. I love the loving on life. But will forever be a sucker for a good whine. Wine. ;) I hope you are well, Char. And very grateful. For at least 30 days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the way you describe the trees through the mist. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Char, such a beautiful description of what most people would consider mundane...the drive to and from work. Even when you whine, dear girl (only with good reason!), you always end on a positive note. So, whine on, anytime you want, that's what we're here for, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.