July 5, 2010

where do i begin...


Originally uploaded by CharlaneG
it was the sort of weekend that just wasn't going right.  no big things (until sunday night) just a series of things that just didn't quite work.  it started saturday night when i got dressed up to go with the girls to the re-opened marina bar.  it was fun...until the band started...and they started with pink floyd.  now, don't get me wrong - pink floyd is brilliant...but not so much for a fun outing with a group of girls that were looking for a party.  obviously the new owner's haven't quite married the band to the crowd to the venue.  but...i got dairy queen ice cream on the way home, it wasn't all bad.

sunday is a beautiful day.  i went out and about for a while - picked up lunch and visited with my sister.  then my brother and i decided to head downtown for the fireworks.  i decided i really wanted to make a big effort to do them right this year.  so...we headed to my parking deck where the security guard (bless her heart - truly) proceeded to hassle most everyone that showed up (besides her friends).  making vehicles turn around and not back into parking spaces (mind you - it was a weekend and holiday).  and she was impossible to understand - i'm not kidding.  then she got mad at me because i was taking up a parking space with my camera and tripod.  we tried to comply with everything but then she overheard my brother talking to a buddy of his where he referenced her and her commands.  she went ballistic (i had tried to tell my brother to be more quiet) and started yelling at him in front of everyone on the deck....well, let's just say it wasn't pretty and i was totally flustered and embarrassed.  the buddy turned out to be the shift commander of the capital police and the buddy heard her yelling over the phone and drove over.  not good.  but...she calmed down and my brother calmed down.

so, i started taking shots and was happy but decided to move back about a foot.  as i moved the tripod, i had forgotten to tighten the knob that holds the plate at the bottom of the camera to the tripod and..yes, my camera went crashing to the hard concrete.  my lens ... well, the f/2.8 100mm isn't built for that kind of jolt.  i'm crossing my fingers that it's only the lens.  that all the camera needed repaired is the battery cover/door.  but last night, i could have destroyed my $2,000 camera and $600 lens....all because i wasn't careful.  and i'm just sick to my stomach.

update!!!  well, the good news is my camera is fine.  all it needed was to pop back on the battery cover door.  the bad news....i no longer have a macro lens.  i'm sick about that, but if i could only choose one, i would choose the camera.  not quite as sick...still just kickin' my own butt. i guess that's why they call them accidents instead of on-purposes.

28 comments:

  1. if anything is wrong with the camera and lens....can any of it be covered under a homeowners policy/umbrella policy....
    i feel that anymore, everything we have is covered somehow...or at least i believe that to be true....maybe i better call my agent :)

    i'm sending a hug in hopes that your week is so much better than your weekend....the icky parts of it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not sure since i don't own the house. my brother does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Crapola, what a horrible thing to happen to u.
    I'd be sick to my stomach too. I could'nt be trusted with a camera that expensive..not at all.
    I'm sorry and I hope things are ok...
    Our cameras are precious to us, huh, and almost like a member of the family...
    good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a renters policy? If so it's quite possibly covered under that. Poor you I know you're really pissed off right now :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack! That's really terrible. I had a Nikon and all lenses stolen once, but insurance covered it. I hope the camera is not seriously damaged.
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although this has never happened to me...I feel your pain! Sometimes crappy is just plain ole Crappy! :(
    Try to have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so sorry about the camera. that's...ugh. awful.

    sending happy vibes your way...

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Char...how disheartening for you. I'll be crossing my fingers that your camera has minimal damage and you'll soon be back to capturing the moments! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least the camera is ok! :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. it all started with pink floyd.
    it usually does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love me some pink floyd, but there is a time and a place for the floyd, and it is isn't really festive party music, now is it?!? a hahha!

    so sorry your weekend was a bit tough. ugh! glad all is not lost with the camera thing. ugh. the trials of life!

    a couple of weeks ago my car was hit AGAIN. this makes the 4th time in 3.5 years. FRUSTRATING. but i know it could have been worse, and at least nobody was hurt. whaddya gonna do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh no. im so sorry! im pleased the camera is okay though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh God...well, I have been following your story and it's just awful. But like you said..lucky it was just the lens and not both.

    RIP lens...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got back from vacation and was making my way slowly through my favorite people when I happened across a comment you made at Katie in MA's place and I came over right away to tell you what wisdom you have! I totally understand about you lens. I had a lump in my throat for days when I broke my lens. So glad it's well! And your brother...too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry Char about your weekend. glad it was not both...but even so...I hope for a much better week for you. take care

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Char! How scary. Glad to hear the camera is fine, but doesn't this make two lenses in recent weeks? Good gracious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I'm so sorry about that lens! Thank goodness the camera survived, and that you got this perfect shot BEFORE the "trip"...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Char, I'm so sorry! Thank goodness the camera is OK. (((hugs))) for you -- hope the rest of the week is better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sick along with you about the broken lens! The parking attendants sounds like a nut job. Wonder what her problem was.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope today is blissful and stress-free.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sad for all the ickys. But, so very glad your camera is fine. Very glad! So? And, hey, you did get a great fireworks shots.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have dropped and broken irreplaceable things and so know that sick stomach feeling...glad you can see that it could have been worse....

    It sounds like the fireworks started before the fireworks!

    This pic is stunning...what did you end up using for settings?

    ReplyDelete
  23. settings: iso 200, f/11, 30 second exposure on a/v priority

    ReplyDelete
  24. hope today is better .. hassles with cameras . bars . and the "law" . what a weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. yikes....it is exactly for those "oh shit" moments that we knew when the guy asked us if we wanted to purchase insurance for the camera we both said "yes"! We've had stupid accidents with less expensive cameras! Although, now that you mention it, I'm not sure we have it on the extra lens.

    ReplyDelete
  26. great fireworks shot btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. thank goodness that camera of yours is okay. and such a pretty photo as well.: )
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, God. I just read this. I knew something had happened but didn't know the whole story. I would have been sick. Hell, I feel sick just thinking this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.