January 8, 2011

soup's on

Inspired by Willow Manor
on a cold rainy day i love, love, love soup.  and since last weekend was new years - i needed something to substitute for black-eyed peas (the southern good luck charm)...and as you know, since i blogstalk, i had stumbled upon life at willow manor and all of her luscious recipes.  i didn't have a meaty ham bone so i adapted the recipe a bit.  the original recipe is linked above, i will post my adaption below.  this is one of my new favorite soups...i highly recommend it (the right on the left is my version of the soup)

ham & bean soup (inspired by life at willow manor)
1 bag dried navy beans (i think any of the white beans will do)
3 carrots diced (i wished i had used more, but they were smallish carrots)
3 ribs celery diced
1 onion diced (i'm not an onion fan so i used 1/2)
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp thyme (had to use dried - couldn't find fresh)
1/4 tsp white pepper (i used black)
1 tsp salt (i tasted first before adding a smidge - the ham was pretty salty)
1 1/2 to 2 cups diced ham (depends on your desire for lots of ham versus not so much)

directions:
prepare dried beans for cooking by following directions on the bag (i soaked mine overnight).  rinse beans and put in a large stock pot. i used a combo of chicken stock and water to simmer beans but any stock you prefer would work (i think).  add remaining ingredients. if you are using a ham bone, then place ham bone into the pot, (about a 7 quart size) cover with water (about 2 inches from the top), cover and simmer on stove top (the recipe instructs that you bake all combined ingredients in a 300 to 325 degree oven for about 4 hours.) check periodically and replace any water that may have cooked off. broth should be dense and beans soft. 

remove ham bone and cut up any large chunks of meat, and return meat to pot. check for flavor and adjust seasonings.


totally yummy!!!  i served it with fresh from the oven cheddar rolls that i picked up from fresh market but i think it would be great with either biscuits or cornbread too.

27 comments:

  1. gosh, i love people who cook. i so wish i had the patience to make more than what i do.....which isn't much :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. beth this is really pretty easy the way i did it. i bet if you wanted to do short cuts that you could use canned beans and not cook it as long. you could saute (stir them in a smidge of oil) the onion, celery and carrots until they were a bit soft. rinse the beans to get the canned taste out and then dump it all in a pot with some stock. season and let simmer until you think it tastes good. you can use thickener if you want or the soup would be a bit thinner than if it cooked all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom used to make this, with the addition of ditalini. Mmmm, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks SO good.
    i can almost taste it now.
    ...putting that on my menu soon!
    hope your new year has been wonderful, Char.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite soup in the world...except I can't eat it :( Beans and I don't get along so well...even with beano. I have tried...trust me. Doesn't work...really, trust me on that ;). But I will look and drool...

    ReplyDelete
  6. this soup looks so yummy!! will try it this week! thank you!!
    hugs
    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds so yummy! I'm gonna have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderfully delicious. I love visiting Willow. She has some excellent classic movie suggestions, and posts her poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is soup kinda days isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Willow has some delicious recipies along with her wonderful movie and art reviews and poetry...one of my favorite places to visit. But I have already used my Christmas hambone making lentil soup...ham and any kind of beans seem to go well together. I better get going making my turkey chili for tonight...you just made me quite hungry:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my Char, this looks so good! I can't wait to try it. I'm sure even my hubby will like it. I'll try it after I get back from OK. Yum.

    Much love,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  12. nothing better than this i so agree.. in the south winter is the time for soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heart Willow.

    and I have to remember to make this before my eldest daughter returns to school, she would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds delicious and perfect for the upcoming weather predictions - is snow coming your way too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, I've got a ham bone waiting in the fridge for this soup later on this week! Perfect time of year for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmmm, your soup looks soothing, hot and delicious! Thank you for sharing:))

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds so good. Very satifying on these cold winter days. I'm gonna try it.
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you stay safe. I had ice storms and no electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. soup is a staple of mine from november through april. SO yummy!

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yummy. Fixed a huge pot of beef stew last night. It was delicious. I used to not like it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This soup looks so simple and perfect for a chilly day. Thanks. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This soup reminds me of the kind my mother would make when I was a kid. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUM! Ham and Bean soup is the perfect comfort food for these grey winter days. Now I'm craving it; luckily homemade chicken and noodles are cooking now. Next best thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love trying new soups. I made a tortilla soup last night for the first time. Was so good!!!

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.