September 9, 2009

abstract thoughts

inbetween the break in rain on sunday, i stopped by the old train museum in calera. before i had gone with classes - it was overcast and slightly eerie wandering around the derelicts - the burned out hulks and rusty, steel cars. weeks choked the pathways between and even the flag looked forlorn, drooping under the weight of the morning rain.

when you revisit a subject, you look for different ways to approach it. the first time, i was timid and walked around unsure what to do - students scrambled around the yard and we grouped together in small clumps. i couldn't see it because i didn't know what to see.

the second time i went i felt jaded in that superior 'been there, done that' kind of way. i looked at 'newbies' with a sort of amusement (yeah, i took that shot too - nothing new here). i didn't allow myself to really 'see' it because i shut myself off from seeing it.

this time....this time i was alone and i was afraid. and i thought to myself, this is silly. what could i possibly see that i haven't seen before. i sat there in the jeep and argued with myself. (get home, it's going to rain again. you've seen this, nothing new to see. you're by yourself, this is not a good area. finally, just get out the car - you need an abandoned shot - get it over with)

slowly i walked around, camera in hand with just the small lens on. no tripods today - it was a quick in and out. i thought about a book i bought the day before and some abstract polaroids that were grouped together in a collage. and i looked again. patterns began to blossom before me - waterfalls, stripes, colors, lines - bits and pieces of a whole.


/>







35 comments:

  1. Super super cool stuff Char! Don't love challenging yourself like this? I always seems to get the best shots that way! It's all about learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had on your good eye for details......they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, I feel like you are my teacher...I always see or learn something new when I come here. Have a fab day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make derelicts, rust, and rain beautiful...

    I especially like DEDICATED SERVICE, both thinking about those words and your image of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are one of those photographers that can make ANYTHING look beautiful. You have a wonderful eye for a unique perspective. I'm hooked. :o)
    elle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please tell me these are going into your shop. Pretty please. with sugar and whipped cream on top...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, amazing shots. so much detail, love the abstract.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are fabulous. i especially love the first one. great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your teacher would have given you extra points for these pics!...I love how you described your feelings of "been there, done that"..and yet came out with something completely new.

    I don't know how you picked just one out of all these great pics to post at LUT...they are ALL magic:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really like the colors that we never intended to be there, but there they are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! What a great exercise. You got some great shots and a good experience too I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are great....like really really great !

    the color and texture is amazing....just think what you might find the next time you go....new eyes baby, new eyes :)

    and the "jack here"....well since my son is jack and I love anything jack related.....can I buy that print from you ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are my favorite shots of all of your work. i just love them. well done. WELL DONE. and i'd buy that padlock shot if it was for sale. HINT HINT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work! My husband loves to take abstract too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great series Char - you've done a great job - you must have been seeing a bit differently through your photographer's eye recently. Always good to see the results. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing photos! You have such an eye for detail.

    ReplyDelete
  17. still in love with these. the textures.. yes. if you have time, I would love the name of the author.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO beautiful.
    char, you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  19. interesting post - the way we see things is different every time i feel.
    some nice abstract vision here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. such beauty in what some folks may overlook ~well done...like the stream of images too~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Off the subject but do you normally use a tripod? I never use one. I really should but I like it simple. LOL.

    Great images.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved the backstory here. The shots on their own are excellent, but the story leading up to them was good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are great and a perfect of example of why I just gave you an award on my blog! hehe check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The padlock shot takes the brass ring in my book. Your best work (that I've seen) yet, Char. A day well spent, in other words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are amazing detail shots... I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Char, you have such a good eye! I love seeing what you show us.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Char, these are amazing I love the colours from the rusting relics, scratched paint rusty nails. Brilliant it is so cool to get something so delightfully new from something so old.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah, your post touch on why I sometime hat my photos. When I go out I have an idea in my head of what I want to catch, then I miss details I'm not looking for. I'm learning not to be so regimented and planned when of photo field trip and trust my instinct more often.

    My favourite is the 3rd image down in this series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excellent group, Char! I really love the red, white and blue shot...is that part of a flag?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! No way you captured better pictures than these before. Maybe it just takes a while to learn to see.

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.