September 26, 2009

exhaustion

so far today, i've shopped at the evil empire (wally world) to replace the toaster oven that burned out and to try and find tiny little cake pans. since i couldn't find the tiny cake pans i wanted (more on why later) i went to hobby lobby. there i was inspired to attempt brownie pops. from there to the grocery.

why all the activity? my beautiful baby sister's birthday was yesterday and we're having the family dinner tomorrow. now, my niece (ga or gigi) doesn't believe in birthdays unless you're celebrating hers. oh no, she's not spoiled at all. so in an attempt to get her blessings on a party, i attempted to explain the concept of an unbirthday (from alice in wonderland).

Alice: Unbirthday? I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand.
March Hare: It's very simple. Now, thirty days has Septem -No. wait... An unbirthday, if you have a birthday, then you -
[laughs]
March Hare: She doesn't know what an unbirthday is.


so, now she has told her mom that it's her birthday too. (ok, the concept was a bit much for a four-year-old - oops) so, i wanted to make little cakes for she and her sister. the little cakes turned out a bit dry but I think the brownie pops will be just the thing. now they just have to cool enough to decorate. in the mean time, baby sis will be happy with the lemon poundcake (along with barbeque, potato salad and baked beans). a good time to be had by all. plus, i get baby lovin' too.

20 comments:

  1. oh yummy! i would have a blast, shopping with you! you will have a fun filled, family day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are the best sister and aunt ever...can I be adopted somehow ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very merry unbirthday to you...to me?- love that scene in Alice in Wonderland! And I love the concept of celebrating someone outside their birthday..

    Ahhhh, Walmart! I miss Walmart..wish they had Walmart in Norway....count your blessings, you'd miss the "evil empire" if you didn't have it there 24/7.

    Enjoy the cakes and eat one for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, sounds like fun! Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, it sounds adorable.. haha I love it that kids think it's their birthday everytime someone's celebrating! So I'm intrigued, what are brownie pops?

    P.S. Had forgotten about that "Unbirthday" Alice in Wonderland thing - made me smile and remember my childhood! Thank u char :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brownie pops! Now that's what I call ambitious!

    Yes, four-year-old girls think the world revolves around them.

    I can still sing "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date...."! My kids had a 45 record with 4 songs on it from "Alice in Wonderland". Must have heard that sucker a thousand times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's wonderful how much you love your family . . . how much you get to see them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think you're like the coolest aunt ever. you've also made me hungry for BBQ in this post. make some extra because i'm on my way!

    have so much fun today! and exhaustion for those you love is always a good thing (i think).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy un-birthday party!!!
    You are truly blessed to have family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's too funny about the *Unbirthday*...funnily enough some 4 year olds are SO smart they choose NOT to understand!
    Ours are 5 and 3 and know for a fact, they understand EVERYTHING which is told to them by us...
    You must be busy prepping...have fun with your Baby Sis and wish her many happy returns on HER Birthday.
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a thoughtful, and fun, auntie! Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're such a good, loving aunt! Happy Birthday to...all the birthday girls!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum-O!!!
    Can I come over too?
    I have a weakness for brownies of any kind.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, wow, Char - will you be my aunt, too!? You are so wonderful to make treats for your little niece! You'll have to let us know how it all went!! :) Silke

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brownie Pops...now that is an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hope you had a great birthday or un. Brownies of any shape or size always work.

    I just spent more time rolling through your photos. Beautiful!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday lil sis! There's nothing like baby lovin!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I've always loved that song..."A very merry un-birthday to You..and You..." and it all sounds delish...especially the baby lovin:)

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.