September 24, 2009

who doesn't love a parade?

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. ~ Thoreau

though i cannot embrace all that thoreau believed and did...well, because i am a creature of some comfort, i feel as though i've lived in walden these past months and have simplified my life. he went to the woods as an experiment where i've gone as a necessity. in that time, i've learned much and i've learned the beauty in making the most of what you have, what you can find and what comes to you naturally. i think he might be happy with that.

and as thoreau said, we all hear our very own drummer in our very own parade. the trick is to make the most of your parade. right? the best bands, the prettiest floats, and make sure there are balloons, baton twirlers and maybe a few pretty horses too. or not...i guess he wouldn't condone all that fanciness. but, again - it's your parade!!!

15 comments:

  1. i've spent the afternoon painting...i've never painted anything before...and i was just thinking about how odd my friends (here) think i am. i march to the beat of my own simple drum. thanks for sharing your thoughts this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i need a guitar, piano, base drum over here...too bad we can't start a band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thoughts Char...I have been hearing my own drummer and it's been pretty loud. I actually need to let some of the others in my parade be heard...

    Your photo today is so exquisite...words can't describe it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great words of wisdom...
    "make the most of your band"

    I like that!!
    xo Laura
    www.brightboldbeautiful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that idea of the band going on here, and want to join! We'll make our own kind of music, and rock on ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this photo! And the musings on Thoreau.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this photo is love! thoreau... yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quote and overall idea: very apt for me at the moment in France. Have met no friends that I really "Click" with; so instead of hanging out with people I know here that I kinda like, I enjoy marching to the beat of my own drum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a captivating image char and pairing it with this quote adds so much to both for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quote...so true, and your words are the added bonus....
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this when I saw it on flickr, and I love it even more here, with your beautiful words to accompany it.

    Simple and oh so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this shot. Just wanted to say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW-Great blogsite!!! I really enjoyed the pictures-thank you for brightening my day!!! Francis http://www.geothermalquestions.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a beautiful photo Char...and I have learned recently that a really wonderful parade can consist of just two grandchildren, a silly grandmother, candlesticks for trombones, pans for drums, all marching around the house to the tune of "76 Trombones":)

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.