September 28, 2010

fall appears to have come to montgomery and though it's not quite to the crispy point that i associate with it, i'm so grateful for the cooler weather that i will do a happy dance.

i'm also happy that the oven is now fixed - my cooking has been rather limited based on what could be cooked either on stovetop, in crockpot or by george foreman.  i've also used a toaster oven but that is such an energy vampire that i hesitate to use it regularly.

i have this "thing" for trees - especially barren trees - stripped of their leaves or trees laden with lacey, flowy, gorgeous spanish moss...or oak trees.  and as i typed this, i checked the spelling for dryad and found they were particularly the nymph for oak trees (but have come to mean tree nymphs for all types of trees)  rather synchronistic i think.

as i think of trees - i think of all the things that have happened and why they have "witnessed".  the oak tree in our front year appears to be several decades old and is quite beautiful and strong.  i wonder if others sat under it and wondered.  i love its weathered bark and long branches and it's so tall that when i stand under it, i cannot see the top.  it is exactly the tree i would want to be...i think.  until i see a gingko in the fall - the gorgeous and bold yellow leaves.  trees....i wonder what jung or freud would say about that attachment of mine?

**********************************************************************************
today on my ipod -  jesters dreamers & thieves (edwin mccain), let him fly (patty griffin), your body is a wonderland (john mayer), band of gold (freda payne), suddenly i see (k. t. tunstall), doctor my eyes (jackson browne), knockin' on heaven's door (eric clapton), allison road (the gin blossoms), arms of a woman (amos lee)

20 comments:

  1. oh i have a thing for trees too - always drawn to their interesting bark or limb formation - some just catch my eye and i fall in love with it's character. maybe we should look up what freud or jung has to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your photo, the trees look like a sentry, keeping an eye ever on all that passes by them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a member of the tree fan club! This is such a moody shot - love it. And I'm with ya on this brutal weather here in the south. Bring on cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you take such lovely photos ..i also like the bare branches...so much more to see...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love trees too. I am surrounded by them in their beautiful tallness..It's a lifelong dream of mine to live surrounded by trees. They make me feel so safe...
    glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the drive from Portland to the coast we have a lot of field oak trees. They just sit out in these vast fields, looking amazing. I love seeing those because it makes me think about all the people that climbed them, had picnics under them and just enjoyed their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have a thing for trees, too...
    and honestly this photo NEEDS TO BE IN A GALLERY !......WOW !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love barren trees... Something a bit magical and mysterious about them. Great songs you got going today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love trees in all their forms but love the barren silhouette when they lose their leaves. Funny I also wonder what trees have witnessed and who has walked or sat beneath them...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can still remember the huge oak in my great granddaddy's front yard. I remember standing on the roots and trying to reach around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so do that also, wonder if trees could talk what they would tell us, the stories they've witnessed, the monumental moments, precious memories, wars,love, everything...absolutely stunning photo...there is a simplicty which speaks to me in that photo...love it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a beautiful image! I love trees, too. Especially solitary trees in the landscape. I have posted about a very old oak tree in our town's graveyard which has quite a bit of history attached to it. It's wonderful to contemplate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lucky you feeling the fall weather! it sure makes cooking a delight!

    and i love trees of all kinds. barren, bearing fruit, standing solo, and surrounded in a forest. they sure have an impact!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure trees know that they are the true inhabitants of the earth, not us silly humans. A beautiful post, Charlane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. trees yes a favourite of mine too, naked and branded onto the horizon, loaded down with snow the branches bending low, sprinkled with new growth, tiny spots of green unfurling, what is it i don't know but I love them

    ReplyDelete
  16. this photo is just gorgeous. so serene.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. ps: i just love it when you post your cooking photos, so i will send some much cooler weather, your way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I was a little girl, my mum read me the book "the magic faraway tree" and so ensued my obsession and severe love affair with trees.... Just magic :)
    xo tash

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love trees. My favorite, especially in the wintertime, is the sycamore. I just love the bark. I know it's messy but I don't care.
    This is a gorgeous photo. I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This photo is so beautiful Char! I am a true tree hugger too...really I do hug them sometimes:) Don't trees speak of life itself...the tree of life? No wonder you relate to it you are so full of life:)

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.