September 6, 2010

holiday...celebrate...if we took a ....

 it was one of those perfect kind of weekends - perfect weather, perfect company, perfect relaxation.  if only i had not spilled that can of pringles....oh wait.

i house sat for a good friend of mine - she has this darling little house with a small little pool - just the right size for one.  but, before getting there - i shopped with my girls, we ate wonderful food (italian + southern = yum) and tried to go to a new dessert place (they were closing as we got there).  but alas the holiday worked against us on the dessert but i got my fill of my favorite babycakes. i got the most wonderful painting that i can't wait to hang.

sunday was spent entirely by the pool where i lounged reading and not even breaking a sweat.  because yes....yes, indeed - the heat wave broke - giving us highs in the 80s and lows in the high 50s.  perfection.  warm enough still to swim but knowing the promise of autumn is coming. 

i drove around a bit - getting back in touch with my old town.  missing some places that closed - like my favorite jewelry store and finding new places.

ps - who can't fall in love with these wee little hens and chicks?

today on my ipod - i don't want to be (gavin degraw), blurry (puddle of mudd), falling in love at a coffee shop (landon pigg), everyday (dave matthews band), heaven (los lonely boys), everyday i write the book (elvis costello), scarlet begonias (the grateful dead), the way it is (bruce hornsby)

and...who doesn't love bonus butterflies?

16 comments:

  1. our heat wave broke as well and it has been heaven.

    your photos brought back instant memories of my grandmother, who had chicks and hens in many of her planters in the front of her house......

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute name i didn't know they were called that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol... hens and chicks, didnt know they were called that, and i am sitting here looking up and down, wondering where the poultry was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hens and chicks, and the little flowers they send up. But without the flowers, they are so picturesque.

    So, it sounds like you were in a different town from where you live when you housesat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, i was in bham this weekend which is about 90 miles north of where i live. i love bham and lived there for 16 years - i miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hens and chickens, when i was young my grandmother would send me out to count the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful. Hens and chickens, have forgotten about those. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a perfect weekend. it is nice to be able to go back on your own to visit where you once lived and not be rushed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blissful weekend!

    When I visit I am ordering this...
    "Peaches with prosciutto, ricotta and pistachio 12.00"...

    I adore hens and chicks....that plant just can't be killed! I have a pot of them on my deck that my mother started...she died in 1991 so this pot is pretty darned old:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a perfect weekend Char, Hope the rest of the week is the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. gail - i almost ordered that!!! i ended up ordering the bell pepper and goat cheese as an appetizer for the table (omg good) and the tortellini salad as my lunch. the drink was limoncello and prosecco in the tiniest, sweetest champagne flutes with a beautiful, wee sugared lemon peel on the rim.

    ReplyDelete
  12. glad your weekend was perfect...I have those hens and chicks,too...they have survived the nastiest of winters without complaint and always come back smiling~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, and I hear ya on the weather. It's finally nice here, too.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting...Lucy loves visitors! By the way, your photos are great...as is your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your weekend sounds perfect! glad to hear that the weather has broken. we are getting some nice cool nights here in NJ...

    love those hens and chicks -- so photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. a sweet little house with a pool perfect for one? That sounds like my dream house! With a little garden and a little studio space..I would be set.
    I must keep dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you had a wonderful weekend. We did too last weekend. I hope this one will bring more of the same.

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.