June 11, 2009

loves, thank yous and fridays...

you knew there would be blackberries

i love these teensy tiny itty bitty mums. they were cast aside in a bargin bin for two dollars so i rescued them and put them in two of my tiny little bottles. now they sit, purply pink with big yellow eyes, and bask in the window sill light - laughing even now as i snap photograph after photograph.

i love the cup, a la homer laughlin. i got it before i knew who homer laughlin is (or was). a gift from a family friend who thought a tea cup was a tea cup and it looks like a country bumpkin when gathered with its fine bone china cupboard mates. but it's strong and warm. scratched and stained with someone's love of tea and i've made the circle back to it, realizing the bone china is sometimes cold and distant.

i love the blackberries. fresh picked by warm hands yesterday morning - waiting to be eaten in the morning sun this morning. the sweet and tart on my tongue bursting open. memories of railroad tracks, sticky fingers and mostly empty plastic pink pails - somehow we never had enough for cobbler ... just like today.

teeny

i saw the newletter tonight. i counted, 21 shots used. i saw my name in print and ran my finger back and forth across the letters - muted and small. it feels really real and i feel both large and small at the same time. i find myself turning the pages in wonder. i know that this is old hat to a lot of people but it's fragile and new to me. i feel like a girl in mommy's high heels - playing at being a grownup. so, thank you thank you thank you thank you for all of your kind comments. i will try to get it scanned and show you a copy of what they used...or at least my favorite page. and my sweet brother, tonight when i was showing him, he said, 'i could tell those were yours - that's your style.' eep.

okay before i go on and on in a fashion that i dislike, i'll change the subject. tomorrow i will spend the day with my darling em-me (well, her initials are m.e. but that looks weird). i can't wait for the cuddles. and then miss ga will be home in the evening so we can watch the latest installation of olivia together. i will miss you all - have a beautiful, beautiful day. xo

watercolor

35 comments:

  1. oh thats SO exciting. and yes you definitely have a distinct (wonderful) style to your work. these photos here are especially beautiful. i love the soft summer feel - really really gorgeous.
    and just reading the sentence about the blackberries made my mouth pucker.
    my week has been WAY too busy at work to do any blogging and it's bothering me. i'm so far behind and posting and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely Spring post Char! Wonderful pics xoxo Happy almost weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this last photo. What technique is it called?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic news! Congratulations and those high heels suit you... you're doing just great. Have fun with your em-me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Char, I am bursting for you!!!! That is so fantastic and I am so proud of you, I can't wait to see the brochure and your name in print!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful, wonderful char!!
    i am so happy for you!

    love the mums!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh so so exciting! Congrats. You give me hope...someday I may even see my name in print. Lovely lovely photos as usual!

    P.S. I am linking this comment to my new blog...check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay for you, char! that must have felt so good to see and touch.

    have a beautiful day—you certainly deserve it.

    {i love the flower in front of the window shots. i took some yesterday of peonies and am so thrilled with how they came out! can't wait to post them.}

    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, that blackberries look so delicious - I think I'll have a smoothie for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When do we get to see this lovely creation? I'm so excited for you, Char!

    That shot of the cup is so beautiful. I have a mini-collection of Homer Laughlin that all belonged to my mom. A large pitcher, a pie plate and a gravy boat. I treasure them because they make me feel close to her.

    Love the last shot, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very pretty in such a simplistic way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta love Homer Laughlin, he did a lot of stuff, or should i say his china company did. Some of my faves are HLCs. Congrats on that newsletter, i'm looking forward to seeing that scan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on seeing your published work. I don't think that it ever gets old, so enjoy! Lovely summer pictures today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. these photos are beautiful & those blackberries look yummy. So excited for your achievement & your writing, as always, brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these photos, especially the last one. Love the romantic and dreamy quality to your work. Congrats on being published. I can only imagine your excitement. Will you be taking pictures of the Hampton Inn in Leeds? That is very close to some of my relatives. Enjoy the beach...wish I was going along.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so happy that you are happy and that last photo is just pure yumminess....

    have a great weekend sweetie !

    oh and yeah....

    YOU ROCK !

    ReplyDelete
  17. "i felt both large and small at the same time" ...yes yes ..a very special moment

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful shots! You definitely have a style of your own and you totally rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay yay Char! Good things
    are definitely making their
    way to you! LOVE LOVE LOVE
    these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. congratulations, char..

    I always knew you'd make it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. huge congratulations!!!! i am so happy for you.

    and these shots are so gorgeous. such strange, muted colors and lighting, but so very beautiful.

    and GOD i love berries. berries make the world a better place.

    hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Char, you blog is so beautiful.
    Thank you for following mine!
    Can you send me your address and I will add you the list for a gift.
    Toni
    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love the blackberries. fresh picked by warm hands yesterday morning - waiting to be eaten in the morning sun this morning. the sweet and tart on my tongue bursting open. memories of railroad tracks, sticky fingers and mostly empty plastic pink pails - somehow we never had enough for cobbler ... just like today.

    Oh man! You can WRITE!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was just catching up on your blog and your writing is as beautiful as photography.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous!!! So happy for you dear Char!
    Lovely weekend as well, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Char, I'm so happy for you -- that's so exciting! And yes, wasn't I just saying that you have such a distinctive and beautiful style? ;) That last photo nearly took my breath away...

    And wow, can you ever write, too! I have a great big smile on my face, just reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely combination you used for that photo, Char.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my GOODNESS, what stunning images. I just stopped by after you commented on my blog - your images and words take my breath away. I'm off for a good nose around your 'world' here and on flickr.

    Lovely to 'meet' you - and congratulations too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Char congratulations. you must have been thrilled to see your work in print. That is awesome for you. I love blackberries and well i am just glad to be back in blogland again. Thank you for your support during my dads passing. It meant alot to me. Take care and I am thrilled for you. cinner

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just found your blog and wanted to say hi. You have some beautiful photos.

    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE that first shot... truly FAB!!!
    Working on interview for YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. the brochure is soooo exciting! love the scan in the next post.....you did a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. lovely, lovely! glad you rescued these & put them to good use!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. can i come by for some berries and commiseration. i'm feeling so out of sorts today, but i think those berries just might cure it...

    xox,
    /j

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.