June 10, 2009

the password is "blueberries"

all i need is a moment
it's one of those days where i feel utterly useless and lazy. i've been running like a wild woman over the past two days so, before i dash off to the grocery i'm taking the morning to relax while watching the top chef reruns on bravo. i'm excited about the masters premiere tonight as i can't wait for all the giant egos to clash.

i'm hoping to go to the beach this weekend and i'm over the moon about it. there is something so healing about sitting on the beach at night, watching the waves and hearing the faint chatter of the world far, far, far away. the wind blows and the salty tang rests on your lips. i admit it - i'm a water baby. pool, lake, ocean - all of it. i feel refilled, refreshed and rejuvenated.

last night was the farmer's market again - beautiful produce, fresh picked that morning and brought in along with unique finds, such as tupelo honey or fresh goat cheese. the boys went crazy over the honey and we cracked it open at the farmhouse kitchen over the warm buttermilk cornbread, heaven!!! i can say that i have now tasted the culinary odditity of a deep fried steakburger and found it....odd. it wasn't bad - it was just different and nothing i would seek out again. give me back the chicken and waffles.

blueberry morning

i read so much these days about being present in the moment and how it will bring you clarity and joy. well, it also seems like so much pop psychology - but it works at times for me. i love being present in the moment as tasting the honey on the cornbread, that pop of a fresh blueberry in your mouth, having a sweet puppy lick your hand, the exhaling of relief when you receive good news, and so many more of those moments. i stack those moments up like little bubbles of happiness to tide me over in the moments where i'm present and it hurts. and though i can't always recall the moments at those times, i pull out the basket whenever i can breathe again. those bad moments are all about the lessons aren't they? what can you learn from them? i'm constantly reminded of that these days. just when you think you're smart enough.

so on to fun things....i hope you've met my friend, mary. she has several blogs that i love but one of my favorites is 'little red house' - a decorating blog where my favorite features is her thrift store and estate sale finds. she always finds the best stuff and i'm totally jealous at her mad skills in the finds. she is celebrating her 500th blog by giving away a silver-plated tea service (click here). check it out and maybe you'll win. (of courses, if you do i'll be totally jealous and slightly pissy - but totally happy for you. totally - i swear.)

i'm teaming up with fifi to do a giveaway on a new blog that she is part of - french cupboard. part of that will be a photo giveaway from my etsy shop (where there are several new items). i will update you all when i know all the details.

for those that have remarked on my new summer banner, it was designed by my friend, lecia (simply blogged). she's totally rad and lives in alaska (i almost typed 'cool' but caught myself.)

now the details about the past two days - i was asked by my sister's company to do a photoshoot of their retail space in the cloverdale area of montgomery. there is a wine celebration going on thursday and a newsletter describing the development will include photography by me! published with a by-line. also, i signed the paperwork for the hampton inn that is opening in november 2009 in the leeds, alabama (near the barber motorsports park) - dr. mcdreamy could see my work the next time he's in town! hahahahaha

29 comments:

  1. Congrats on the photo gigs! So exciting.

    In regards to present moment living...it is all about the little things. Like you said, the pop of a blueberry, honey on a biscuit (which I am very jealous of right now)...it's those little things, everyday, that make life worth living!

    For me it's coming to your blog...trying new things with my photography. You inspired me to create this...

    http://nowordz.shutterchance.com/photoblog/Pastel_dreams_/

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, thank you - I'm always flattered when someone is inspired by anything I do - it's a beautiful compliment. your work is always so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many exciting things happening right now! Congratulations. Have fun at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you on the upcoming jobs,... you are an artist and it will shine through your camera lens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a beach girl here, too. Love being near the salt water, the rhythms of the sea. Enjoy your time at the shore, and congrats on the photo work you are securing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you Char -- the water, especially the ocean, always brings me to peace. I also love what you said about being in the moment. When it comes right down to it, life really is about the small pleasures. And can I say I LOVE your berry shots (you shoot them alot); they look delectable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries There I said the password three times..now what? I better not get all big and fat and blue like Veruca Salt or I am going to be pissed, well unless of course it involves some sort of surreptitious "squeezing" room! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so excellent!!! I am so happy about all those great creative gigs you have going on.

    The blueberry pics?!
    Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots! Congrats on the gigs! That's such fun and exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how fun...shooting for a job...lucky you and congratulations !!!

    and yeah, that water association...ME TOO...but cripes, you've noticed that by now, right ?

    and umm....that second shot of the blueberries....FABULOUS !

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...I think this is my favorite of all your posts...the "bubbles of happiness"...the "pop of fresh blueberry"...being present in all the little moments is most important...And the photos of those blueberries!..no wonder you have gotten two great sounding jobs...you inspire me too:)Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the beach sounds amazing right about now. I think I may just have to plan something this summer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Char, that is so exciting! You know I am seriously in love with your photography style, and I think you will go far with your work. I'm so happy for you!

    Thanks so much for pimping my giveaway, and for your very sweet words. I'm so glad you enjoy reading my blog. :)

    Oh, and the new header totally rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading these quiet, beautiful posts, with talk of beaches, farmer's markets, and photography in a peaceful and thoughtful tone. I would love to see the world through your eyes sometimes, and learn to be quiet and listen.

    Congrats on the jobs!!! That is truly awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Char. Your photography is always crisp and light and lovely.
    As for living in the present, that's something I've never been able to do. I'm in the past. Often. Where everything always seems either more beautiful or terrible than it actually was in the present.
    And those blueberries! Wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, my! that first photo is wonderful, char. i love the lighting! not sure how you lit up your subject so perfectly while maintaining that gorgeous dark black background, but it's so beautiful. very very professional looking—should be in a magazine, dear.

    have you ever thought of working as a photographer for a magazine. i could see you doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh hon, you have such a way with both words and photography! You always give me something to mull over for the day. Yes, it is the small moments that make up a lifetime. And we must savor them. I adore Fifi and Mary, both great gals and bloggers. Blueberries, my morning staple.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  18. (sigh) I love your blog and your photography. You are such an inspiring woman thank you for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Things are looking up, uP, UP! You sound so good, sweetie! Very nice post, it made me feel really upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. boy, you have a lot going on, and many good things! that is very exciting!

    and i love the blueberry shots. of course it makes me want to make blueberry muffins. ack, but YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those blueberries look like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooooh I ADORE blueberries!!! I wish I had some RIGHT NOW... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really enjoyed reading this post...so much. I just love it when you're in this happy mood :-)

    just wondering...how do blueberries taste like? we don't have blueberries here except bottled...and they cost so much! (sigh!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. blueberries living in the moment(with our baskets),
    friends out in blogland and creative work ...Char this post makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the blueberry shots...and congratulate you on the upcoming photo shoots. I also love how you are embracing the day:). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yeah!! I am so excited for you. For both your jobs. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. the blueberry post is an iconic summer image. love.

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.