January 1, 2010

day 1

well, the good news folks - we survived 2009. for some of us it was by the skin of our teeth and it looked bleak for a while but, most folks would say that a day you can wake up to is better than the alternative. (i'm sure we all may argue that at one time or another so...just sayin')

so, following that logic - a new year that you can wake up to must be even better. what you're looking at is the state flower of alabama, the camellia. the beautiful thing about a camellia (besides the pretty colors, varieties, etc) is that it blooms in the winter. isn't it great when something so beautiful can bloom under harsh circumstances? come on, any old flower can bloom with it's beautiful and temps are in the moderate zone, but this one blooms when it's 20 and 30 outside (that's fahrenheit folks.) so i'm just going to picture myself as a camellia for a while if it's cool with you.

it's also my first shot in my (da-da-dum) 365 that i've committed with the nagging, *ahem* cajoling that julie did. she promised few rules and one of them was that i only had to shoot every day, not show every day. so...i can live with that...because i will get really tired of myself if all i shoot are things that bore me. ehhh, we will see how it holds out.

speaking of photography projects. have you seen how our little lens.us.together has grown? 102 followers ladies (and gent). i'm always amazed at the number of people that participate and then how it has just blossomed. you ladies (and gent) rock the house. someone told me on good authority that we're cooking up something special to celebrate #100(+2).

they say that whatever you are doing at midnight on 1/1 will follow you through the year. me - i was on the top of a parking deck downtown watching fireworks. i'm not sure how that translates, but i was with people that i love so i will hold on to that part.

28 comments:

  1. Well I for one am glad that you're playing too! 365 is a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad you're doing a 365 project. That's great news about Lens.Us.Together too! It's a neat little project - I'm a follower for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, there's a lot of goodness in this post. the flower blooming in harsh conditions, being with people you love. and our little blog growing and growing. all good stuff! happy new year, friend. day one has been good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful camellia...Our state flower :0)
    I guess sleep will follow me through the year..as that is what I was doing until 12:10...hahaha...thats when I woke up! ha
    Congrats on our venture with Lens.Us.Together! Its an awesome place to express/create together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cripes, that little flower is inspiration, isn't it ?

    and our little lens us together... that was so recently just a little pup is growing up....so proud, aren't we ?

    and being home with my sweet love after a great trip to celebrate 25 years and working so hard at staying awake to see the ball drop, was as good a place as any to be, if it has to do with what the new year will bring...

    kind of exciting don't you think ?

    ps...I will be your cheerleader for the 365 project with pom poms and jumps....cause I just don't think I can do the 365, without banging my head up against the wall at some point this winter when I can't get out to shoot and believe me, I can only take so many indoor photos before my head explodes.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. beth - I may be there with you...just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think im going to give the 365 thing a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! You are doing the 365 project too! I'm taking on the challenge too... and I'm sure it's to be a challenge (some people make it look sooo easy with all their beautiful daily photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU . can. do . this. camellias bloom in winter for goodness sake..you shall bloom too 3.6.5.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You rock! I think if the rest of your year is anything like watching fireworks with friends, it will be pretty spectacular!

    Wishing you all things bright and beautiful in 2010!

    xoxo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  11. nagging? me? heehee.

    i love that your photo had a flower in it. i think there's still a mangled shivering rose hanging on in my garden, but that wouldn't have been the same at all!!

    i'm so glad you're playing along, i'm sure you'll inspire me when my enthusiasm is flagging. :-)

    hmm, at midnight i was out in the clear, cold with my tripod, trying to get pictures of fireworks....i can't decide if that bodes well for 2010 or not. :-)

    happy new year to you!!
    xoxox,
    /j

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smiling here. :)

    I used to love going to the annual camellia show in Baton Rouge! That's a gorgeous shot and beautiful bokahs, too.

    Speaking of followers...have you noticed your numbers lately? Pretty cool, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whatever you're doing at midnight will follow you through the year? Well, I was up alone and kissing my dog. So I guess that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've already started on a wonderful year. Wishing you all the goodness that exists in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was asleep at midnight! I hope that means I will have a rested year! hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was asleep at midnight, that is not a good sign, happy new year my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know that about camelias... you're right, it's beautiful!
    To a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was asleep. Usually am, even on New Year's Eve. What a party pooper I am!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my 365 that's a biggy isn't it well good luck you can do it girl, hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. loved being a part of the lensustogether. and what a lovely blossom...with a side order of bokeh!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm going looking for camellias... i've never seen the winter blooming variety (they don't bloom in Canada at all, as far as i know)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Day one looks good to me:) Happy New Year Char.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Char, I love what you wrote about Camelias. They are one of my favorites and I have 2 big bushes on either side of my front door! I'm wishing you all wonderful things in the new year--such a relief that 2009 is over, and so looking forward to 2010 + following your blog :)

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have got to feel great at the way your idea is taking off. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Maybe your life will be full of bright beautiful surprises (i.e the fireworks)...or we can just stick to what you wrote, I love that better.

    Hope it warms a bit for you!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  26. day 1 photo IS gorgeous. getting better and better...

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.