January 17, 2010

the weekend in yellow and blue


believe*
(card by andie edwards - 'spreading hope')


dinner at home for three**
(shrimp and grits -- see below)


mise en place


if sunshine doesn't come to you....make your own


even southern girls get the blues....canning jar blues that is


ladies in waiting


full of wishes and dreams






**Cheesy Shrimp & Grits

1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut in half
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped finely
6 green onions, sliced thin (mostly just the white part)
1 clove garlic mined (you can use dried if you're out of fresh)
1 can ro-tel tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup old fashioned grits
2 tablespoons butter (i used olive oil instead)
1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
1 cup jack cheese, shredded (i used the four-cheese mexican blend)

chopped bell pepper and slice green onions. soften vegetables in a skillet with olive oil or butter - do not brown as it will spoil the appearance of your casserole. add garlic to season (do not scorch garlic as it will ruin the taste of your dish by making it bitter)

in the meantime, bring broth to a boil and stir in grits. cook according to package directions (do not use instant or fast cook grits). peel, devein and cut shrimp in half. open tomatoes (do not drain) and put in casserole dish with shrimp. add softened vegetables to the casserole dish and stir. once grits are cooked, remove from heat and add approximately 3/4 of each of the cheese and stir until smooth. pour grits over the shrimp and vegetable mixture and stir together. top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 F until bubbly (about 30 minutes). serve warm with crusty bread and a salad if desired.

35 comments:

  1. how lovely...celebrating the simple things in life.
    xoxo alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Char, you'll need to share
    that "shrimp & grits" recipe.
    It looks YUMMY!

    Here's to an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh...such a beautiful way to spend the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NEVER had grits...do you have a good recipe?
    I love this calming post!
    Have a great Monday dear Char.

    C.x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEVER had grits...do you have a good recipe?
    I love this calming post!
    Have a great Monday dear Char.

    C.x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You defiantly create your own sunshine. I love the blue jar with the yellow flowers. I also like shrimp, is there enough for 1 more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. the colors sing clean.clear. comfort with a very special artist behind the lens

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that idea of giving the weekend colors. Choosing colors says so much more than you would think at first. Even the shades you chose show a warmth, a certain contentedness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great reminder that I need to go buy some fresh flowers today....

    how were the grits ? they look totally yummy and I've never even had grits....

    and the canning jars will forever remind me of my grandma....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm -- i would love a bite of your shrimp and grits!

    lovin' the blues and yellows:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. shrimp and grits is one of my FAVE dishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are so pretty. You have such a delicate touch with the camera.

    I'd love to have the recipe for shrimp and grits. Yours look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shots - those grits look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful... And I was going to ask about "green" and then I realized, why, yellow and blue make green. :) Lovely post, Char.

    xoxo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Falling in love with your photos on the 365 project on flickr, I wanted to visit your blog. Funny I should do it eating a cookie.. :) and taking photos is one of my favourite things to do. Great advice though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos Char...love them all. Yummy Shrimp and grits...although my recipe is a bit different from yours.

    Love the blues!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful pictures. it was a chili weekend for us. the NFL and all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. cheery spring-like photos to brighten our day. thank you so much.
    the grits sound delicious

    ReplyDelete
  19. "if sunshine doesn't come to you....make your own" -- love that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So wonderful, and the recipe looks delicious! I would love to find some of those blue canning jars, where do you find your?

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks good even though I've never had grits and I can't eat seafood( allergy) but this may be the first time I'm disappointed that I can't eat shrimp. That looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy. The food, the recipe, and all the glass and flowers. All just yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been waiting for your shrimp and grits recipe!...Thanks!

    These colors are just singing to me and have put a smile on my face...what a beautiful grouping series:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful shots... and can I have a cook delivered with the recipe please?? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Char, I'm loving the shots with the blue canning glass,(especially the one with the flowers)such gorgeous light... Yay to the making your own sunshine! Have a lovely week Char! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love shrimp and adore grits. Why have I never eaten this??
    Your photos are very soothing, Char.

    ReplyDelete
  27. fabulous pictures. so clear and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yipee! I'm going to try your recipe. It sounds so yummy...and easy. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. GULP! oh how i want to try this recipe! actually, i wish it was being served to me right this second!

    ReplyDelete
  30. cooking dinner now, but I sure do wish it was shrimp and grits. Too bad hubby won't go near it with a ten foot pole, booo.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your pictures are lovely - I love the combination of blue and yellow - but those shrimp and grits - oh my - how I wish I could reach into my computer and eat them! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.