January 7, 2010

frankly my dear...

music and romance

there are too many things running through my head today - i think the artic chiller sweeping through the state has taken over my brain and has put it into hyperdrive...or something like that.

little things seem to be irritating me today - more so than other days when i tell myself just to chill out. theses things include - total inconsideration of my calendar when it comes to scheduling meetings, music and captivas on blogs, the drone of the construction seems to be at a higher pitch today, the general lack of length on most tops unless it's designated a 'tunic' and then it's almost knee length, obnoxious football fans instead of good fans, weather forecasts, kayne, trump, and diddy - not together - separately, dry heat, and my bladder.

yeah...i need to get over myself. i know. these are all part of my journey. it feels better just to admit it instead of holding it in.

so far the 365 project is six days old and i've only struggled one day...yesterday. i will admit it's a lot harder on week days as i tend to do one of four to six things a day: wake-up, race around like a demon to get ready for work, work, come home as it's getting dark, throw together some kind of dinner, relax, and go to bed. but, i'm pressing on. the more fun part of my days this week have been consumed with my art journal that i started. it feels right now like the writings of a middle-school girl...but, as that's the last time i took 'art' lessons it makes sense to me that i would re-live that period of my life. next thing you know i'll macrame something and maybe move on to papermache.

i'm going to totally redesign my blog sometime soon. not sure exactly how it's going to turn out but i hope it's less chaotic than it is now. that too is irritating to me today...how chaotic my blog looks.

i made a version of tyler florence's slow cooker pork barbecue this week and it was yummy. no photographs though as the pork looks much like a lump when the dry rub and then when it was ready, we devoured it like wolves (yes it was that good). i rubbed the butt (yes, the child in me laughs as i type that) and put it in a slow oven for a bit to let it begin cooking. then, i moved the pork to the slow cooker with a layer of sliced onions and just enough water to cover the pork 3/4 of the way up. let it cook slowly until the meat is done and falls apart. gently shred the pork with two forks and serve warm over hamburger buns with your favorite barbecue sauce. tyler suggests topping it with coleslaw - but i'm an alabama girl and we have our coleslaw on the side.

dry rub:

2 T chili powder

2 T kosher salt

2 T black pepper

2 T dried oregano

2 T paprika

2 T celery seeds

3-4 T garlic powder

30 comments:

  1. Oh, grumpy days are all right. They make the good days all the better, no? Sending a big hug your way, dear.

    xo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday was a hard day for me too with BC 365. Your photographs are so epheremal (is that a word?)

    I do hate those days where every little thing seems to get under my skin. Haven't had one of those in a while but I am sure I am due!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was thinking that the 365 thing may get quite tricky once i start back at next week. i will be in robot mode then, with little time to think about taking good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the length of tops. I'm 5'7" and have had this problem the past few years. What, are the manufacturers making the tops shorter to save fabric/$$ ? I've seen some increase in length with the changing style (leggings, longer tops), but not enough to matter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you getting that time of the month? I only ask because everything gets negative for me around that time of month...it's cool..tomorrow is a new day.
    I don't understand what you mean about your blog being caotic. I've seen worse- your blog is great. I'd love to do some different stuff to my blog too but I'm just not that talented and not really THAT interested in learning..so it is what it is..love me or leave me..hahahaha...
    Hope you have a better day tomorrow my friend...hugs from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pulled pork...now I'm very hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, deary, the weekend is nearing...I hope you find an opportunity to refresh yourself in some way!!

    Take care, you :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 365 is definately trickier during the week. I've had two "phone it in" pics this week and it really bugs me so I got up extra early this morning to take them. They say it takes 6 weeks to make something part of the routine without having to think about it so... 1 down, 5 to go.

    Irritating days suck. Happy Friday eve? (if there can be a Christmas and New Years eve then why not Friday eve?). I hope the day gets better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok...so this baffles me...I swear I visit you every day and then miraculously(sorry for spelling...comments have NO spell check) I click on Ramblins and I have missed 2 posts this week...
    I am th opposit when it comes to food hoarding...and I think I am safe when I'm shopping at the supermarket...then I come home and find I have NO tomatoes...NO corn...so what I imagine our cupoards to have...are really yours!
    NONSENSE...I know.
    Love the sound of your ribs...
    Have a great day.
    CAN't WAIT to see your ART attack.
    HUGS
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had those days too. Sorry to hear that you are having one now :( Hope it gets better for you Char! I think I'll have to try that recipe now as well...

    ReplyDelete
  11. its the weather...just not right this far south...BUT your roses ah so pretty char!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GAH...totally salivating about the pork. Good thing about days...you can have a start over tomorrow :)

    here is a link to the video...sorry you could not view it on my blog...it's super cool...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, you're in hyper drive today! Love the bladder irritation comment. I'm intrigued with your art journal...did I miss reading about it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hang on tight...the weekend's almost here. YOur blog does not look chaotic. But if you are like me...you like changes. I know exactly what you are talking about in the way of shirts!!!
    Don't feel bad...we all have these days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally laughed when I read, "rubbed the butt" too. Heeee heeee! I bet it was so good though - the pork not the rubbing. Oh nevermind. It all sounds bad now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know that even as you wrote what you did, you made yourself laugh a bit reading it back....come on, yes you did...just a little, right ?

    I love my grumpy days....because my grouchy self doesn't last long, but everyone tends to stay clear of me, like they're scared....and it makes me laugh.

    anyhow...when you start working on that blog re-design, I'll be watching and hopefully learning....mine has been growling at me for awhile now and I keep running from it....

    it might be time to tie a bow around its neck....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you have a better day tomorrow. I like your blog but I know sometimes you just need a change. I know I do. Love the photo.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah yes, one of those days. I get them myself every so often, actually just yesterday. I pretty much snapped at everyone in our office but they're use to that by now. I'm a total faliure at 365 but when I think about it, I really did do a photo a day last year. They just weren't all worthy of posting on Flickr or taking the time to process them. It's just the act of picking up your camera and snapping something everyday. It's that creative release we feel after working all day. Plus the presure of not saying it's 365 helped. I'm going to complied them on my staycation coming up and bind them all together.
    anyhoozle...hope your day got better! it's almost the weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not seeing the chaos on your blog that you are, I guess. But I do know that once things begin to irritate me, then everything seems to go the same path.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Char I can TOTALLY relate with this post. BIG TIME! I am so glad that you are keeping up with an art journal. I need to get into mine. I'm doing good just to stay on track with the 365 project! Keep positive. You're doing awesome! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh i've had those kind of days too. i love your honesty though. the art journal sounds like a great project to start the new year. my metalsmithing classes start up again this sunday and i'm excited for that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you ended on a good note with that recipe! I like the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I find humor in being grumpy and people tolerate my grumpiness more when it's funny.

    I haven't struggled with my 365 project yet but I go back to work next week and with 11 hours less in a day. I am not sure how I will manage.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You sound retrospective today:) I like your blog however, having your beautiful photos larger would be most enjoyable! They are fantastic. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ; ) the weekend is here, my friend.
    i love the roses.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hate having those days. I am no fun to be around. the recipe sounds delicious. hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. your photos should be published...and this one would look great as cover...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nothing like rubbing a pork butt to ease an irritated soul (now the child in me laughs!). I know what those everything-annoys-me-today days are like...I think we all know. Hope you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loooove that image! Feel slightly guilty that it cheered me up so much when you're clearly a bit down in the dumps. But thispost is a few days old so hopefully you're back to sorts now?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooh I love this shot! Usually I like very bright sunlight photos but this one is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.