October 12, 2010

navigation

remember that saying, "can't see the forest for the trees?"  it seems i heard that a lot as a child...and probably as an adult too.  i often think of my life in this matter - life is a big forest - a tangle of paths, trees, roadblocks, bridges, wild animals, thorns, wildflowers and, well, you get the analogy i'm sure.

often, as i barrel along through the forest - not thinking much about where i'm going or what lies outside the forest - is it happiness, peace - serenity...or, the showdown showcase (name that gameshow?).  anyway - there i go skipping and suddenly *boom* there is a tree i never noticed before standing right in my path.  i'm unprepared so i didn't bring an axe or a saw.  i'm not the strongest person, so battering it with my fist just seems to cause me injury...i too often forget to take a step back and look...because, heaven forbid i go backwards...right?

so there are days that i'm reminded that sometimes a step back to gain perspective is the right thing to do.  that not everything i do means i have to crash headfirst into the tree blocking my path and perhaps if i had planned a bit better i could avoid that particular tree.

*******************************************************************************
today on my i-pod - mercy (duffy), cry to me (solomon burke - rest in peace), words (ryan adams), out of my head (fastball), world spins madly on (the weepies), beast of burden (the rolling stones)

19 comments:

  1. I agree - very wise. Sometimes the fear of running headfirst into a tree keeps me from even taking a step. At least you are persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true. slowing down and backing up can be the right move. i have a tendency to say "f*ck it" and steamroll ahead on a crash course that isn't always brilliant. argh. trying to train myself to STOP DOING THAT. yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I think it's those times when we step back, and look and absorb, that we do the most learning and growing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not thinking much about where I'm going...I'm in the middle of that kind of running through the forest right now. Part of me thinks that I really need to get a plan and focus on it. Prepare myself for what I'm trying to do and then start moving. Defining the path rather than just going at things willy-nilly. You've got me thinking, Char.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been much of a planner or a worrier so I have encountered my fair share of trees...I have learned to embrace them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent story today.There are many times I wish I'd planned better so that I didn't hit that tree. But I do find that when I step back and gain some perspective, sometimes an even greater path emerges.

    xo Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. this can be so true - a need to step back. your post is very thought provoking and wise. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. a strong image to match your words .. my stops here are golden

    ReplyDelete
  9. always worth the visit here. beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i enjoyed this post. a moment of peace in a very hectic day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Char,,,this is perfect...and I love your oprah idea you just posted ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true but I really hate going backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't get by often enough... I love a friday morning in my bathrobe when I can visit my bloggy friends.
    I had a full circle moment just this weekend when my daughter came home to try on wedding dresses. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha ~~ we are were on each other's sites at the same time !!
    I love when that happens.

    except I haven't finished reading.. I was admiring that photo of your dad,
    sorry that you lost photos!! how heartbreaking.

    okay.. i'll read now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, I'm with an earlier commenter , the fear of the tree keeps me from going into things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am fortunate to have seen the light through the trees...they may bump me on my way, I may have to go around ones which have fallen...BUT I keep heading forward.
    Thanks for stopping in...you forgot to tell me your FAVE pin, but I appreciate your feedback on the ETSY Show.
    HUGS and apologies for not passing by as often as I would like.
    Your posts are always filled with GREAT substance...and I think your "What I Learned" series would be a HUGE hit!!!
    BRAVA bella!
    Char.x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Erghhh...I could use some stepping back myself. Thank you for the reminder. And your latest post sounds very interesting...now, what have I learned? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  18. So true ... we all need to slow down, breathe deep, take it all in, relax. We all need a plan. But you know, sometimes, even then, you can manage to run headlong into a tree. But I've noticed, those tend to be the times I learn the most on my journey ...

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.