December 1, 2008

maybe you can go home again

I grew up in Montgomery, Alabama and though it was the center of racial tensions in the south during much of my childhood, I don't really remember much from those times. I can remember riding the bus downtown. My mom would take we kids to the library every two weeks and we would savor books to check out. The art musuem was housed in the upper part of the building holding the library, so we would check out the artwork too.

Dexter Avenue

We would also ride the bus downtown to shop before shopping malls took over the world. We had Belks and Kress. If we were good, we could have a soda at the Dixie Rexall.

Fountain

During the summer, the Paramount Theater had the "Buddy Club" where they would show movies free for kids 12 and under. I can remember riding the bus downtown with my friends - can you imagine that now? *shakes head* The YMCA where I learned to swim was also on the bus route.

Capitol
Montgomery has a rich history - a sometimes shameful history...but it's my hometown - a place to which I may return. Yesterday - I drove around to remember the good. I've changed a lot since I left Montgomery years ago - I changed into a big city girl. But there is good in a slower pace, family and friends, and love.
I'll leave you with this quote someone sent me this morning - It seems oh, so very appropriate:
Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity. ~~ Albert Einstein

7 comments:

  1. What a BEAUTIFUL place... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the memories of your childhood (esp. the visits to the local library). Your town had such a wonderful feeling from the photos you posted. Memories to be treasured...no doubt. Nice posting today. Hugs, M ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that quote... always one of my faves! Thanks for the reminder!! And wonderful pics & story!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made me want to come down even more now. Start planning for late Spring. I'll swing by and pick up the Meemster on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photography is amazing. I have spent a lot of time in Montgomery, and it has never looked that beautiful!
    I spent 70's around Montgomery~ we share a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in a small town that none of us could wait to get out of. And now, as I have grown and return to visit I think, what a great place to go back to, to live again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't get over your photos my dear...so perfect. xo t

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.