February 19, 2009

hello from montgomery

The wind blew crisp and chilly gusts over the inbetwix landscape, neither winter nor spring. If we can have an Indian Summer, can there be an Artic Spring? Still robins hopped eternally hopeful that worms will peek above the sodden cold ground to provide an afternoon snack. I'm reminded what a small town it is when young yell from pick-up trucks though their final message was snatched and tumbled with the wind. All I really heard was "........CAMERA.......lady." I will take the position it was something nice.

After driving slowly and finding a hidden garden never seen before, I drove further afield to Pike Road, made famous by Tim Burton in "Big Fish." Old abandoned stores cluster in spots in juxtaposition with large homes and sturdy horses. It makes me wonder what the area looked like even 60 years ago. Vines overtake and reclaim - evidence of a life gone by. I imagine writing southern gothic novels set in the flattened meadows and decayed buildings. Soon, this too will be overtaken with so called progress as the city sprawls madly and drunkenly south and east.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

waiting

hav-a-tampa

overgrown

**************************
In other news, I found the cat's last hiding place and now he sits at the top of the stairs meowing at me while the dogs turn their heads listening to the strange noise. My brother's allergies are kicking up as he nicely deals with the fact even the basement may not be far enough away for a cat. But, I'm happy that I can pet and hold my boy for brief periods of time as I sit on the steps with him, adjusting to the new surroundings. There are times I still want to sit in the corner too.

27 comments:

  1. Great shots! Spring is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Today I sit outside catching up on blogs... it is sooooo nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i sure love the last pic. gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picture of the chair. That whole stretch of road sounds idyllic. Glad too, you are adjusting to your new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you out and about, Camera Lady. I liked the movie, Big Fish. Welcome to your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good to know other people liked that movie - I love it. There is a lot of Montgomery in it and Wetumpka. I'll try to include more shots from spots in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to be there shooting with you....I love areas like that !!!

    I think they shouted, "I want you take my picture with that camera, lady"...."because we've heard you're terrific"

    and the adjustment....I know how hard it is...been there done that....and you will find your place...the place that feels right and right where you belong...it's just a matter of time....enjoy the journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That movie totally pulled heart strings.

    See I told you you'd find some NEW places to shoot! Aren't you excited about all the vastness of newness??? (wow that sounded southern)

    Love the post processing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like time spent out exploring, camera in hand to give peace and sense of belonging. Thanks for sharing Char.

    PS I also love Big Fish and this Christmas I gave it to my Dad as a gift. He is alot like the Albert Finney character.Lucky me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. camera lady these are random and your handiwork makes me so happy...one day at a time Char, change takes time ELK

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the chair shot, char... and i pray your heart settles in to your new home even as you explore and enjoy the wonders of your new surroundings... keep on shooting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic pictures! I especially love the chair..and the tree...and the old store window...I think you are being inspired! Glad to hear that kitty is now a little bit out of hiding...

    ReplyDelete
  13. arctic spring made me chuckle. just when I was thinking of green grass, it snows. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous pics and I love the "Big Fish" reference, it is one of my top 5 all time fav movies! I must go see this Pike Road!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading what you write. You are so gifted. These photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello char..

    sometimes I wish I was born in an English speaking country.Writing would then be so easy and doesn't have be like you're in school again doing what the teacher assigned. Then maybe I could write the way you do..so spontaneous..."
    "Soon, this too will be overtaken with so called progress as the city sprawls madly and drunkenly south and east"

    But I was not. It's just OK though..so even if can't write that well, I get to read some of the best.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photos Char. That second one really did remind me of Big Fish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always, amazing shots. The one of the bare trees is a masterpiece. I love the one of the jewelry store sign, something about that one touches me.

    I feel your pain about this transition, I know what it's like to want to find a corner.

    Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This makes me want to rent Big Fish and watch it again to see where you are living.

    You and the cat keep comforting each other.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos are beautiful... poetic, even. They could certainly stand alone, with no words. But you are such a terrific writer, too. The combination of the two is wonderful! Best wishes in your new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Big Fish is one of my absolute favorite movies!

    That blue ..... that chair .... gorgeous picture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, I really need to log in here more often, I miss your words. Glad to hear you're adjusting, and glad to see the scenery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. "arctic spring"...pure poetry my friend and exactly what I've been feeling too.
    Love your photographs of course. You are such an inspiration.
    xxoo,
    a.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah - Big Fish is one of my all favorite movies!

    Glad you can pet the kittie :)

    And I got the photo that I won from you - it is every prettier in person - thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such beautiful photos! Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how i love your photos! I think the last one (house with vines or... vines with house) is my fav. Happy Weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The two trees is awesome myfriend, absolutely awesome.

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.