February 22, 2009

the right light

there is light in my new den - the beautiful indirect light that photographers crave. it is without set up or any special wrangling - it just is. as I've unpacked this week, my desktop has been littered with the bits and pieces of things I've collected. Bottles, little pottery dishes, books, tea cups, the myriad of baubles that have caught my eye. all of them look lovely in the light and my camera is happy to capture them. in this light all I have to worry about is the composition, none of the other whirls and twirls need adjustment.

and yes, the similie stands before me...or is that allegory? that in the right light we all shine? I won't beat that any harder than that. wouldn't it be wonderful if we all got the right light all of the time?

and I will try not to batter you with twenty images of the same thing - even though I took at least thirty of the bottles yesterday as I loved the way they sparkled in the light. there will be more days with different things in that light. I'll try not to use it all up so greedily.

stacked

bottles in the morning light

20 comments:

  1. I envy that natural light -- it's a photographer's fantasy! It's amazing how soft everything looks illuminated by the natural, existing light in a space. So very appealing ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love these little vignettes. Love how everything sparkles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The priceless light, nothing beats the natural light if you can have it. It brings endless photography possibilities. YAY:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. saw these on flickr--they're amazing! i'll be so happy when our light comes back properly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a certain evening light that just causes me to stop everything, draw in a deep breath and soak it in. It is always sad when when it suddenly leaves and you realize it is getting dark. It must be savoured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to shoot but in nothing but natural light. Your devotion and such perfect description to it is so evident in the beautiful pictures you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. morning char...

    love the new photos.. still life could be as beautiful too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely baubles. lovely light. lovely Char.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and most interesting to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these, Char. Enjoy the light--in the den and in you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you took these bottle images char? That's awesome, they are just beautiful. Who knew that bottles could be so beautifully artistic. You have a photographic gift and writing one too! Great passage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. those are nicely captured. I love the last one, may I know where you get all these beautiful bottles? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the two clear bottles with the ring pull stoppers were a gift from my sister. the labels say they came from portugal. the little bottle is cut glass bottle I got at a Princess glass party - I liked the vintage feel of the cork. the blue/green is a ball canning jar from the 30's or 40's maybe? I got it at an antique store.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, there is nothing like good lighting!!!! very nice shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Different light = different picture (even if it's the same subject). At a recent flickr meetup group 30ish photographers all shot the same "stuff" in the same rooms over the course of several hours and all the pictures look so different because of the perspecitves and changing light. Some things only artist get....

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's ALL about the light, isn't it? Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh wonderful light - there is nothing better!!
    such fantastic pieces you have there and of course in that light they look even more magnificent - you captured them beautifully. and i believe you indeed are shining as well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks Gorgeous!


    Nice luck having such amazing light

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love the light in the last picture!

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.