February 24, 2009

yellow

Today I went to the park where I played as a child. When I was young there were monkeys and deer in the park as well as a playground and a planetarium. As I drove down the street, the corner where I lived was covered with a commercial building. The street where the candy store was located was completely razed and filled with empty lots. All the old sidewalk and houses where I played were gone. The park looks underfed - no monkeys, no deer, few flowers - but the planetarium is still there. So are the old trees that had to be there when I I played under their shade.

It was a solemn sight. School buses were lined up on the lot, waiting for children to pour out of the school two blocks away. Random patches of daffodils and yellow flowering bushes provided splashes of color. I wish the park could be returned to its fun glory. The planetarium was closed so I couldn't peek in.

bus_stop

yellow

After the park, I ran errands - when I got home, the entire house was clean!! Oh the sweet joy of a wonderful room mate. Makes me wonder why I resisted and wanted my own space for so long. I stopped and got lemons and blackberries. I didn't realize until I was home that yellow was the theme for today. But....today I'm loving yellow and sunshine.

meyers lemons and bird

meyers with dish

15 comments:

  1. gorgeous. love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i LOVE that last photo! so elegant. so simple. yet so very beautiful! well done, char... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was heartbroken when my favorite Puerta Real Garden in Intramuros, Manila stopped having concerts during weekends. It was a cozy place with green lawn surrounded with lots of bougainvillas and trees inside century old garden walls. It was a romantic venue for the concerts and other cultural shows which usually start at six in the evening...just in time to enjoy the sunset too. So I think I know just how you felt when you visited "your" park.

    The pictures are gorgeous as usual...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i do like visiting my old stomping grounds, but i can relate to your feelings.
    seems like the places i remember are quite different .. no one plays by the river anymore
    and the "island" is nothing but a dried up little plot of land, inches from the river bank.

    what are ya gonna do?

    we still have memories :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know how they say "you can't go back"? It's partly true. When I make the trek back to the small town in which I was raised, it looks run down and each time - a memory marker has been removed or changed beyond recognition. It's as though part of us disappears along with it ... Anyway, I love your sunny yellow theme and photos and they brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the changes are difficult at times... your blues and yellows speak to me here!

    how were the muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love yellow. It is so spring and we all need it now, at least I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the school buses. It looks like a photo from when I was a kid and they didn't have good fixer so everything washed out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yellow and sunshine - i can see you radiating, beaming - you seem happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. monkeys!?!?! i wish i could say i'd ever been to a park with real, live monkeys. that is so cool, and it is such a shame they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yellow has been on my mind lately. This is a great grouping of like colors. Wouldn't it be fun if we did a color of the week type meme?! It would be fun to see everyone's interpretation of the current color of the week. hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  12. WW - that would be a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it. I love the yellow because it of course reminds me of summer. Yearnin' for some constant blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw these on flickr earlier and just soaked up the yellow and sunshine goodness of them all.
    Beautiful shots.
    a.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I saw these on flickr, too. Just gorgeous! And yes, a color of the week meme would be fun. Sadie Olive did that a while back -- even had a flickr group for it.

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.