February 21, 2009

untitled...

Where does life go when we use it up so quickly. I swear I was younger just yesterday but today I'm years older. Scattered and discarded carelessly, never missing it all as I worry it away. Rubbing the hours like beads on a rosary - all polished to a smooth sheen. And then I tell myself not to worry. That all will work out as well as it possibly can.

What was that minute ten minutes ago? The one where I sat in my chair thinking nothing thoughts about nothing and no one. The one where my brain drifted on an endless gray cloud of doubt. Wanton, decadent, wasted and lost minute. I would cherish having you back if I could. Would that I could like Croce wished, bottle you up and keep you. But it never works out that way.

Did I enjoy you? Did I drink you up? That is what I would do with all my minutes - like the songs tell us we should do. Live in this moment - this now - this forever gone and never to come back. Unbottled and raw.

And, all my minutes are not wasted. I know this for true and for sure. There have been too many happy minutes for me not to understand the waste of uncherished minutes. Happy minutes, contented minutes, lovely strings of beads strung together into happier hours.

bottles-1

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful.

    I too worry that I've let some of the minutes slip through my fingers, but perhaps instead I just forgot how much I enjoyed them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone feels like this at times. Your photography reflects your mood sometimes, doesn't it?
    This vingette compliments the mood of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to think that my minutes were not wasted ... but I fear that is not true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel like i had many wasted minutes today - like my mind was kind of scattered - i wish i had those back to use right now.
    wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe those minutes weren't wasted -- they just weren't used consciously. And sometimes that is necessary too. I have a feeling you don't let too many minutes go to waste Char ... hope everything is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful thoughts and a beautiful picture. and a good reminder to enjoy this very minute, even if only fleetingly...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very true. I thought about this today. I thought I just met my husband yesterday and I could've sworn I just entered kindergarten last week.
    I hope my minutes are well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think about this all too much lately. Since I'm getting older I think so much about cherishing the time I have with my family. Life flies by... and that scares the hell out of me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feel the same way. Not sure why but lately I think about it more than I used to. 38 so maybe I am getting nervous of 40?

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is much wisdom here. I love this post and the impetus it provides to get up, get moving, make something happen.

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.