February 9, 2009

two lips

I dated and was briefly engaged to this guy my office called Mr. Tulips. It got to be a laugh around the office how often I received tulips and how many containers ended up on my desk. It seems David knew I loved tulips so he thought his buying choice was locked solid for a while. After we broke up...I couldn't stand tulips for a while as they became a symbol of his lack of originality. I decided peonies would henceforth be "my flower". They are girly, lacey and a bit more difficult to get. They were not predictible like tulips or roses.

Then, I fell back in love with tulips. I love the delicate veins of color in the petals and the colors - both light and bright. I do think you can get tulips in almost any color. Like daisies, they're happy. And you have to think of the romance of them...two lips.

And despite my foreclaimed dislike of Valentine's Day...I am a romantic at heart. I love the sudden bursts of unpredictibility that love can bring - the knowing looks, the covert handholding, the silliness that the rush of new love can bring as well as the warmth and merlot toned depths of mature, long lasting love.

Okay, obviously I've overdosed on too much chocolate today. Since I'm packing, I haven't been able to get out and venture on a photowalk. So, I'm still taking pictures of my tulips...sorry folks. There will be something besides boring shots of pretty flowers soon. Right now I'm dealing with a failing fridge, figuring out how to pare down my things, and what to leave out until the last minute. It's enough to make my head spin.

Keep on keeping on all - I know all the news tells is lately is it's bad out there...try to hang on. Hopefully better times will be here soon.

kitchen window

26 comments:

  1. i love tulips, too! peonies are to die for.

    hope someone starts bringing you flowers soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are so different and such beauties in their own right...strong yet soft

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do not think i could ever give up tulips. they are my favourite. peonies, second, but tulips first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers, beautiful photograph, love how everything is backlit and framed by the window.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only reason I couldn't have tulips in my wedding bouquet was because they were out of season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a boring photo at all. You still have your accoutrements out, I see. I guess I should read back and see why you are moving.
    I don't envy you. I moved twice in 3 months last year. It was difficult, to say the least.

    And here you are, trying to cheer US up! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally getting caught up ...
    I absolutely love tulips. The history is fascinating as well. The plain red and yellow ones can get to be a little boring when that is all you see, but there are so many lovely varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. VioletSky is right... there is some fascinating history behind tulips and the famous "tulip mania" of the mid 17th century. I have to say that I probably would be more of a peony person if given the choice, but any gift of a flower is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love tulips although peonies are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is too funny that you dated a guy named mr. tulip. funny.

    i love your tulip shots. i have yet to photograph them this year. maybe there will be tulips this week. =]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Then you must go here!!!! You must!

    http://gonw.about.com/od/eventswa/ss/skagitvalley.htm

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen photographs from there - I would love to go

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with tango... any flower is nice... but lilies seem to steal me.

    Still singing Aerosmith...
    I love the timeless feel to this photo. It's almost like it has a delicate smell. Fresh spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. :) I named one of the shots today "Pink" and thought of you

    ReplyDelete
  15. This photo sings SPRINGTIME to me! And after an already long drawn out winter, this peaceful, pink image is a brief respite. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous photo, Char, truly. I used to always love roses best but now I just like flowers, period. Ones I remember from my mothers garden...pussywillow trees with their fuzzy buds, dogwood blossoms, lilacs, iris (love them), oriental poppies, chinese lanterns, crocus...so many lovelies all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ohhh, I do love the willows and lily of the valley. And yes, all flowers. I love iris too but it doesn't last long does it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE this photo... would you mind terribly if I painted it?
    BTW... your champagne coloured dress was beautiful today and those raspberries were delightful... thank you soooo much for coming to my Paris party... especially when you are soooo busy packing!
    ENJOY!
    Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  19. The photo is beautiful, the flowers...well, they aren't to my taste, but who died and made me king of the flowers? No one. That's who.

    ReplyDelete
  20. fifi - mind if you painted it? EEK - I wouldn't mind at all.

    Kurt - yeah...I didn't expect flowers to be your thing. But...I didn't figure the boxes stacked up would be my thing either. Pout - I gotta get through this move.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, that photo is just gorgeous!

    I honestly can't say what is my favorite flower, except to say that long stemmed roses leave me cold. I'd much rather have tulips, or peonies, or daffodils...

    I hope your packing goes quickly, and your move smoothly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favourite are big headed purple pansies. Tulips are pretty sometimes, but the photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So, so pretty. I guess I don't have a signature flower, but I do go through phases. Lately it's dahlias.
    Good luck with the move! I hate moving more than anyone I know, so I sympathize with you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are gorgeous, and more than enough! I love the lighting and the soft, pretty colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your tulips are wonderful! Hope the packing is going well...my daughter is starting to pack now too...it is never easy...

    ReplyDelete

i feel as if each comment was between us as we sat and sipped something warm....i love to hear what you're thinking.